Looking for people with common interests...

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Looking for people with common interests...

Unread postby soberunnr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Hey everyone, I'm 12 days sober and meetings have been great. I'm tying to surround myself with people who don't drink, or are in the program or at least open to it. Hopefully I will meet some new people in meetings but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post on here as well. I'd like to meet some folks around my age (33) who can share in some activites in the Philadelphia area that don't involve drinking. Running, dinners, concerts, brunch, whatever. Going to some meetings would be great as well. Looking forward to hearing from you.
soberunnr

Re: Looking for people with common interests...

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:01 am

Soberunner: Good for you, 12 days is awesome! You have a lot of great ideas, keep going!
abclimo

Unread postby L1veL1fe89 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:13 am

Soberunner: I am still trying to get thru my first week but what you decribe sounds like good ideas. My husband and i might be interested. Message me on here if you want. ANd stay strong.
L1veL1fe89
L1veL1fe89

Unread postby Vaya » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:43 am

Hey, I'm 13 days sober this time around. I live about 20 minutes from Central Philadelphia, and am 25 years old. I generally meet people eye-to-eye better when they are older than I am. 'Tis how I operate, I suppose ;)

Please, please, please drop me a PM if you'd like to meet up for some activities that do NOT involve drinking, drugs or anything of the sort. I'd *love* to participate with some really willing people.

Can you list some of your interests, briefly, here?

Mine include:
>Meals (!)
>Biking
>Live music/coffee shops
>Drumming (with others to jam with)
>Digital DJ'ing
>Discussing Psychology and this almighty "Mind" of ours we so fruitlessly attempt to exercise control over in our daily lives
>Plenty of others; I'm sure my memory will be jogged when I see others' interests

Again, PM me, sir.

Much love,

~ vaya
Vaya

Unread postby clf82 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Can someone explain to me how this site works?
I am about 2 months sober and go to meetings--I had a long time sober and am just coming back again--i feel awkward going to meetings where I dont know anyone and I think its keeping me from branching out
clf82

Unread postby abclimo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 am

clf82: It's easy, just come here, read the posts, and participate with the posts, or if you see nothing that interest you or applies to you, make a new post and people will post to it. It's like a meeting without having to leave your house and be face to face with people. It's a great way to express yourself and it's really helpful. Congrats on finding your way here.
abclimo

Unread postby butterfly01pa » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am

Hi sobberrunnr,

I too am trying to surround myself with the same type of people. I am 49 yrs young and, have friends from 30-75. If you are interested in friendship e-mail me please at butterfly01pa@aol.com. I live in NE Philadelphia. Could really use a friend right now as well. My husband was seriously ill, and is now recovering, although he is awaiting a kidney transplant. He is actually doing quite well ow, and you would never know by looking at him that he was so ill. I am back in school with those of your age, and I am a teaching assistant in two of my classes. I am trying to get sober after being sober for almost 3 yrs, and drinking again for the last three months. I am hopeful! I enjoy just about everything!!
butterfly01pa

Unread postby butterfly01pa » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:47 am

Hi abclimo,

I fully agree. These message boards are a great way to express yourself without having to leave your house. They gave me a sense of hope this evening. :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:47 am.
butterfly01pa

Return to New to Recovery?