New and willing to get sober

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

New and willing to get sober

Unread postby avere fiducia215 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm giving this a shot for the first time in my life. I am 26 and I still drink as if I am at a college party. I drink one beer or glass of wine and then it turns into a full case or 3 bottles. I cannot stop when I start - which is what leads me to the need of sobriety. I have attempted before to control my drinking, however it only lasts a day or so. I was unemployed for 3 months and begin my new job on monday - I was using boredom and depression as an excuse for drinking. I have wasted money, ruined relationships, and forgot who I really am. I am an alcoholic. Last night at my boyfriends parents house I drank WAY too much wine. blacked out, so I really don't have a clue as to what happened. He told me this morning that I beat him and bit him (he has a black/blue eye and a large scab on his ear) while he was driving me home. I am very fortunate that he was still here when I awoke this morning. He called my parents and told them what happened - they are so upset with me. His family thinks I'm insane and he needs not to be with me - I am beyond the point of embarressment. There is no excuse or reason as to why this demon comes out when I drink - it's simply that I need to stop drinking and I cannot control my use. I have a horrible past and I need therapy as well ... I am so scared to go to meetings, I dont even know where to begin and I am shy with strangers, so I am reaching out to all of you for some advice, encouragement, and help...
avere fiducia215

Re: New and willing to get sober

Unread postby yosemite610 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I hear the same advice all over for newcomers: Go to meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps. There really aren't any shortcuts, ask anyone who has relapsed after some sobriety and come back in, they will tell you 'their way' didn't work :wink:

Congratulations on your honesty, that helps enormously!
yosemite610

Unread postby trubeayouty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 pm

your heart is pulling you in the right direction... It sounds like you already made up your mind and know what you have to do... I can tell you this... the hardest part will be just walking thru the door!!! Get thru the door and the hardest part is over. You do not want to spend the rest of your 20's apologizing... It's never to late to take the step in the right direction!!
trubeayouty

Unread postby NancysPigeon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Good that you know what the problem is at such a young age. I went to my first meeting when I was 32. Sounds like you might have the First Step: you are powerless over alcohol and your life is unmanageable. Good for you. Keep up the good work.
NancysPigeon

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion