Lost, confused, and advice needed

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Lost, confused, and advice needed

Unread postby Tryingtogetsober10 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm addicted to opiates and diet pills. I basically started taking them because I felt tired all the time and have bad pains in my legs. I don't have medical insurance. I usually take anywhere between 15mg to 30mg of percocet, morphine, or oxicotin a day. Usually take a 35mg diet pill mid day to keep me alert and focused. I have depression problems as well as anxiety. I just want to be happy, energetic in the healthy way. Im afraid it may lead to something bigger because drug abuse runs in my family. Besides the diet pills and opiates i may take a 20mg adderall if I dont have any of the others and used to smoke pot but thats all ive tried. I just don't know where to start
Tryingtogetsober10

Re: Lost, confused, and advice needed

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:22 am

Even if you don't have medical insurance, see a doctor and tell him/her the truth. Then you go from there. One step in the right direction is often enough to change an entire life. You're one appointment away from freedom.

Unread postby dennis » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm

I can relate to the self medicating. It becomes progressive in time and things only got worse for me. The fact that you realize you have unmanageability in your life is a major step in the right direction. Sounds like you have a desire to want to stop...and thats our life line to freedom.
dennis

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:48 am

Trying: Hi and welcome! If you don't have medical insurance and want to go to rehab, contact them. They can help you get coverage to deal with your addiction issues. So many states have medical assistance and then counties also have a drug and alcohol board that can help with rehab. I highly recommend that you contact one. I know that detoxing from opiates is not fun, and should be medically supervised depending on how much you are using. You have admitted that you have a problem and that's a huge first step. So many addicts die before they can admit they have a problem. Start going to meetings, they are very helpful in recovery. Find several to go to, not all meetings are the same. You'll find a lot of very caring people out there, who are willing to help you get through this. Get a phone list at the meetings and call people before you use. Eventually find a sponsor, someone you can feel comfortable talking honestly with. When you go to meetings, put up your hand and share. If you are not comfortable, you don't have to share, but listen. You'll hear so many pathways that are similar to yours. Keep posting here, we do care.
abclimo

Return to New to Recovery?