keeping busy

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

keeping busy

Unread postby saved by grace » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Keeping busy is key to staying sober for new recovering people. I know when God saved me from my addiction, I needed to keep busy. When I started feeling uneasy, I got in the kitchen and started baking. Baking takes time and it is also fun and eating some of it was good. There is alot of sugar in alcohol, so eating some sweets in the beginning is helpful. I baked cookies, and pies and cakes ect..., gave some to friends and family, and froze some for later... Also for new recovery, is getting a puppy. I felt that my dogs ( I have 2 labs ) were a God sent. I went for alot of walks with them and since loosing custody of my children when I was drinking, the dogs give me something to take care of. If you have a puppy, going out and being tempted to drink is less, because you know youn have a puppy to take care of. It doesn't care if you cry, or get angry, it compforts you. A dog does not judge you or care that you are an alcoholic. It loves you always, and that is rewarding in the beginning of sobriety. Being new in sobriety can be a lonley place, so my advise is to stay busy, busy! Find something to do that fills your time when you are feeling tempted. And always stay close to God and be true to yourself and each day will be another day sober. If I can be sober for 3 plus years, so can you! Peace.....
saved by grace

Re: keeping busy

Unread postby abclimo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Saved: I agree about keeping busy, it's amazing when we were using how much time was spent on using when you look at one of your typical days. Take all that time out of your day, and you don't know what to do with yourself in the beginning to fill the time and then your brain starts thinking thoughts it doesn't need to be thinking. Walks are awesome for taking up time, meetings are key as well. I did a lot of cooking and baking too. I would donate some of what I made to the local food pantry and I would also volunteer some time there as well, they needed help stocking shelves, etc. and giving back is important as well. Sometimes someone would come in who looked so defeated, they needed a hug. Hugs make everyone feel better. Just like words of encouragement or telling them you'll pray for them. All is important to recovery. Cheers on your sober time!
abclimo

Unread postby Vaya » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:36 pm

"I agree about keeping busy, it's amazing when we were using how
>much time was spent on using when you look at one of your typical days.
> Take all that time out of your day, and you don't know what to do with
> yourself in the beginning to fill the time and then your brain starts
> thinking thoughts it doesn't need to be thinking."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really liked reading this; I'm coming back around with 12 days this time after a 3-year hiatus from sobriety and this is *exactly* what my main problem has been. If I'm not involved in something exciting or dangerous, or am not incapacitated by drugs and alcohol, my natural inclination is to find life BORING.

LIFE! BORING! This is B.S. thinking, and although I am aware of such a fact, I seem to be incapable of changing my attitude towards it. I oftentimes become depressed when bored, and depression leads to isolation. Isolation breeds negativistic thinking - or, at the very least, thoughts that border on bargaining with myself - and *wham* it's off to the races once more.

This topic is a great one, and one that should be discussed more fully (hopefully with some more input from members here!). I spent the last time hanging out with a friend literally Google'ing "Things To Do" and generally found the responses uninspired and thus unhelpful. As the fog clears and my clarity of mind/semblance of serenity returns (as I know that it will), I have no doubt that this will be less and less of an issue. I recall my three-year period of sobriety prior to the last three years I spent out of the rooms, and this was precisely how it worked.

And, in fact, this topic is precisely what inspired me, tonight, to become a member of this forum. I'm so glad to be able to honestly say that I'm reaping the rewards of others' insight already.

Much love,

~ vaya
Vaya

Unread postby robertoZ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Yep. When you're doing your 90 meetings in 90 days for the first 90 days, go early, help set up, coffee, chat, etc. and stay late, clean up, chat, etc. You've just turned a 1 hour meeting into a 1.5-2 hour one. And, you'll probably get invited out to the diner for more coffee and sober fellowship. As sobriety takes hold, you'll start to wonder how you ever had the time to do all that drinking. Best to you.
robertoZ

Unread postby giniu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 pm

new to this site. so far, it's great seeing how many are like me. 77 days sober & went out over the holidays (family stress). back in the program 18 days & feeling much better. i'm a quilter, so i've been extremely obsessed with making quilts for whatever/whoever! my husband says he really enjoys hearing the hum of the sewing machine rather than the pouring of shots. just find something to keep your mind active on anything but the drink. also the meetings help alot. i'll be back, and good luck to everyone (& me) :D
giniu

Unread postby elizabeth » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:46 pm

38 days and going strong..back to running and love keeping busy- this site is great!! Going to meetings help so much :D
elizabeth

Unread postby teatime22 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 am

I see the struggle with boredom with my husband. Depression and mood swimgs seem to be inhibiting him from finding motivation and something to do, he doesnt have a variety of interests. It was always sports and beer. :? Now...its really hard for him. I wish i could better understand. I never feel "bored". Some personality types crave excitement. I have come to accept that life is not always exciting. Constant stimulation seems tl be the theme of american culture. People always need to be doing something, need to be entertained. The thought of being alone with ones thoughts is scary to some people. :o there is an addict in all of us
teatime22

Unread postby abclimo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:33 am

Teatime: Hi and welcome! The moodswings are horrible when you first get clean/sober. Your body knows that it's missing what you used to be putting in it and it's huge. It's like really bad PMS and hormones and everything all at once and it can be overhwhelming. Just sitting and being with your thoughts can be trouble in the beginning. We as addicts can create scenarios in our thoughts that are amazing. I remember in the beginning, I had trouble sleeping and during the night when it was all quiet and I was awake, I would say to myself "well, no one would know if I did this, or that" and then all of a sudden our logical brain kicks in and you do the mental head slap to yourself. When we were involved in the height of our addictions (yes, alcohol, drug, shopping, food, sex, etc, can still be addiction) it's amazing the amount of time we spent on getting our item of choice and using it. When you take this out of the equation and you have all this time on your hands it can be bad. That's partially why they talk about attending so many meetings in the beginning because you are very vulnerable to your own thoughts and to temptations and as time progresses, you learn mechanisms to help you stay away from the stuff. Did he have any hobbies other than sports? If he did, maybe he can go back to them, if not, maybe he can find something that does interest him. Just being there for him to talk when he feels like it is important too. I hope I helped a little with my explanation on what he's going through. Hugs for you!
abclimo

Unread postby karate1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi all - this is my first post. Today is day 28 for me without alcohol. I did it by myself, which was not that hard because I was so disgusted with myself, I couldn't even fathom another glass of wine. I hope that distaste never goes away. But anyway, in the beginning, I was awful to be around. I had jet lag from an overseas trip, taking wrong hormone pills, bad memories of the trip, etc. I turned 52 on my birthday trip and was a total mess for about two weeks. I slugged through the pain and depression and just treated myself as if I were an abused person or dog who showed up at my door. How would I treat them? I would feed them really healthy foods, demand nothing, give praise for little things, nurture, exercise, do yoga and get therapy - I would do everything possible to bring them back to health. So today, day 28, I feel the energy that I was so craving has finally returned! I am finishing projects that have lain dormant for years. It's weird little things like emptying and sorting clothes baskets that make me feel a sense of accomplishment! Boredom will pass and energy will come in and maybe you can find the time to spend on worthwhile endeavors. Ginseng helps with physical energy. One you have that and the early depression lifts a bit, you or your loved ones may find that a full day devoted hobbies and studying is good for your mind, body and soul - not to mention your wallet and creativity. It took awhile to get here, but well worth it. Best wishes to all who read this!
karate1

Unread postby amber13569 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Well today has been my first day sober in a few weeks, I was sober for 46 days before that and felt great, but the same thought process as you all have.. I'm unemployed right now and so I have so much time to drink and nothing seems worth doing if I dont have a drink before I do it. Today is very hard because I'm feeling the hangover/withdrawal and my thought process is always, bite the dog that bit ya so that ya don't feel like that. I'm home alone and feeling so crappy, but I made it this far. And I dumped out all of the alcohol in my house and my bf has my car so I can't go get it. I really want this to be the last time I feel like this. I'm young and alcohol has destroyed so much in my life and hurt so many people. I feel so defeated and bad about myself because of this addiction. I need strength and hugs please.
amber13569

Unread postby johnswaz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:09 pm

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I really liked reading this; I'm coming back around with 12 days this time after a
> 3-year hiatus from sobriety and this is *exactly* what my main problem has been. If
> I'm not involved in something exciting or dangerous, or am not incapacitated by drugs
> and alcohol, my natural inclination is to find life BORING.
>

Vaya,
You've just descibed my mindset to a tee... Im extremely lucky not to have been arrested
The past 2 years. Downright lewd behavior. Not to mention the stupid fight I have gotten
Into.
Its time for a change.
John
johnswaz

Unread postby Terry » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:48 pm

karate1 wrote:
> Hi all - this is my first post. Today is day 28 for me without alcohol. I
> did it by myself, which was not that hard because I was so disgusted with
> myself, I couldn't even fathom another glass of wine. I hope that distaste
> never goes away. But anyway, in the beginning, I was awful to be around.
> I had jet lag from an overseas trip, taking wrong hormone pills, bad
> memories of the trip, etc. I turned 52 on my birthday trip and was a total
> mess for about two weeks. I slugged through the pain and depression and
> just treated myself as if I were an abused person or dog who showed up at
> my door. How would I treat them? I would feed them really healthy foods,
> demand nothing, give praise for little things, nurture, exercise, do yoga
> and get therapy - I would do everything possible to bring them back to
> health. So today, day 28, I feel the energy that I was so craving has
> finally returned! I am finishing projects that have lain dormant for
> years. It's weird little things like emptying and sorting clothes baskets
> that make me feel a sense of accomplishment! Boredom will pass and energy
> will come in and maybe you can find the time to spend on worthwhile
> endeavors. Ginseng helps with physical energy. One you have that and the
> early depression lifts a bit, you or your loved ones may find that a full
> day devoted hobbies and studying is good for your mind, body and soul - not
> to mention your wallet and creativity. It took awhile to get here, but
> well worth it. Best wishes to all who read this!

Today is my day to give up the wine. I truly appreciate you sharing your story. God Bless
Terry

Unread postby cedesbaby » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Today is my second day of being completely sober. I work a lot and I love to crochet but keeping busy is not my problem. It's having people like me to relate to. I saw a comment about going to a meeting and going early to set up. I have been to meetings before but thought I never needed them. I was heavy into drugs and than just stopped. I have been in a relationship for three years and stole pills from her five times now even though they were locked away. I don't know why. I love her and I'm losing her as I write this.
cedesbaby

Unread postby reds18966 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:57 pm

:D johnswaz wrote:
> >
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > I really liked reading this; I'm coming back around with 12 days this time after
> a
> > 3-year hiatus from sobriety and this is *exactly* what my main problem has been.
> If
> > I'm not involved in something exciting or dangerous, or am not incapacitated by
> drugs
> > and alcohol, my natural inclination is to find life BORING.
> >
>
> Vaya,
> You've just descibed my mindset to a tee... Im extremely lucky not to have been
> arrested
> The past 2 years. Downright lewd behavior. Not to mention the stupid fight I have
> gotten
> Into.
> Its time for a change.
> John
reds18966

Unread postby ME2 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:35 am

NO PROBLEM STAYING BUSY BUT STAYING OUT OF MY HEADD EVEN AFTER 26 YEARS IS STILL A CHALLENGE.
ME2

Next

Return to New to Recovery?