Need a South East PA meeting for Law Enforcement

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Need a South East PA meeting for Law Enforcement

Unread postby FOP » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Greetings,

I hope you guys can help me. My Brother is in Law Enforcement and has recently started to go to meetings. He says the meetings are good but he feels he can't really open up because of his profession.

Does anyone one know of any meetings geared towards Law Enforcement personnel? I have talked with him about it and he would like to be able to talk to people who understand the unique stresses of the profession.

If there are such meetings in Philadelphia or it's surrounding suburbs please point me to them so I can pass it on.

Thank you.
FOP

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:31 pm

Hello, I just looked on the web, but I didn't find anything. In the meantime and if he has access to a computer, he can try different online meetings or online AA chats. He would be completely anonymous.
Anybody knows of meetings geared towards law enforcement people?

Unread postby FOP » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:02 pm

Thanks for the reply,

He is not very on-line oriented, he has a computer but he never uses it. He is not an on-line forum kind of guy.

I also tried to Google a meeting for him but the best hit I found was here.

I am hoping this is the right place, if anyone in Law Enforcement goes to meetings in SE PA please let me know.

At this point I am thinking about making an anonymous forum for the guys in SE PA just so they can talk to each other.
FOP

Unread postby Guest » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:58 am

I think it's a great idea to make a forum for those guys if you don't find what you're looking for. When you say "forum", you mean on the web?

Unread postby FOP » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:24 pm

I did some programming before I got into network admin, so I was thinking of making some kind of blog or message board on the web.

It would be great if I could find him some meetings though.
FOP

Unread postby November_rain » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Hey FOP,
I did some research, but it looks like there's nothing specific for LE personnel.

Instead of making some type of forum, you may want to use the online chat on this board. If it sounds like something you would like to do, just send an email to the admin (under Contact us), and see if you can use one of the online chat rooms one or two nights during the week (or whenever you feel like having these forums).

There's a lot of traffic on SobrietyOnline, and I am sure it would help a lot of people related to LE.

Take care,
November rain
November_rain

Unread postby FOP » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply November,

I do have some ideas about how the forums or chat would be. My main concern would be making sure that the people that posts are really in LE.

I will look into seeing a secure but anonymous way.

btw, sorry it took me a couple days to check these boards. Thanks to everyone who has responded.
FOP

Unread postby John » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:24 pm

FOP,

I just did a quick search on Google for "police alcoholism":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=police+alcoholism

There are anonymous sites and programs for law officials that are seeking help. I know it's difficult to reach out without fear of repercussions... but just make sure they have to keep it confidential.

If you would like we could set-up a private message board here on Sobriety Online (invitation only) for police and other law officials. You could be in charge of it.

One last thing, with message boards, you need a spam protector. You will be spammed everyday by everything unimaginable. We are pretty close here at being spam free but it's a constant struggle.

I don't want to discourage you. I think it's a great idea at what you want to do.

Let me know if Sobriety Online can help,

John
John

Unread postby FOP » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks John,

I am still trying to figure out what to do. I am going to talk to my brother and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the heads up about the spam, I didn't even think about that I was more worried about how to make sure the people who posted are really involved in LE. Their is just no way to keep it anonymous if they have to provide some sort of proof.

I am going to talk to a programmer friend the beginning of next week and see if she has any ideas.

Thanks again for the replies!
FOP

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism