new to this

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

new to this

Unread postby solsingr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 pm

I am new to this type of forum please help!
solsingr

Re: new to this

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:36 am

what are you looking for? if you read the posts you'll get a better idea of what this forum is about. what brings you here in the first place?

Unread postby autumn1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:42 pm

I also am new to this, and have a very long story. I just drove to what I thought would be my first meeting but there were a bunch of guys hanging outside smoking and making alot of noise, so I turned around and went home. I just wanted to blend in and sit in the back and listen to other peoples stories. Maybe a good start here would be for someone to tell me thier story. Also, are there any all woman meetings?
autumn1

Unread postby giniu » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:39 pm

am really tired. very confused. sleep. any one out there?
giniu

Unread postby piperann » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes we are here! You can not do it yourself. This is the hard way if you try to do it alone. WE (not alone) can. Help is avalable from fellow people who have been very suscesslful. I know how hard it can be. The answer is simple but going to the first meeting is tough. Find a meeting at W.W.W. AA.ORG any time anywhere.Women only meetings are listed ,but any meeting you will be welcome. All we need is a day sober. Walk in, look for coffee, have a cup, have a seat.......... That is it........ Relax. Everyone in the room has been in that seat and understands EXACTLY how you feel. People wil say hi. Say hello i am XYZ, When the meeting begins the chair person will as is this anyone's first meeting,no need to stand up, simply say hello this is my first time here,your first name ,no need for your last . No need to say you are an alcoholic. They will say welcome. Relax. Listen carefully.You may think, what do whay want.The answer is simply, they are sober and only want to teach someone else how to get sober.They have learned from the person before them when thay sat down with the same cup of coffee.
A new life awaits.
piperann

Unread postby abclimo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi and welcome to the new members here! I completely understand about going to a meeting and being very nervous. Not all meetings are the same. Please find another one near you and go to it, or find several more and go to them. I had picked out 6 in my area and ruled out 3 after a first visit to them, the other 3 are fantastic meetings filled with very caring people who want to help others stay clean/sober and to recover. When you go to a first meeting that you feel comfortable at, ask some others what other meetings are good to go to, they'll be happy to help you with that. You didn't say whether your problem is drugs and/or alcohol, but it doesn't really make a huge difference, other than the process of detoxing. When you are new to a meeting they will ask if it's anyone's first meeting and they ask you to give your name. You won't have to share if you don't want to, all you have to do is say "pass" and no one will think any less of you. They have all been in the same place where you are, as have so many of us here. Please keep posting here, if that is what you are most comfortable doing, we will respond to you because we do care. I recently posted my story because I am hoping that it will help someone who is just starting out. You can find it under drug addiction, and I think I listed the subject as going back to where it all started. You've admitted that you have a problem and when we have a problem of addiction, it never "goes away", but we can learn what to do to control it and also how to manage temptations when they arise, and they will arise. You need to tell yourself everyday that you are worth getting and staying clean/sober. Some people even put it on a post it on their mirror so they see it and their reflection at the same time. Post back and let us know how you are doing!
abclimo

Unread postby kristen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 pm

i think i want the womans meeting but ty for the great idea pick 6 and see which one is best
kristen

Return to New to Recovery?