al-anon

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

al-anon

Unread postby giniu » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 pm

my husband & daughter are going to their 1st meeting on thursday. i'm really anxious & can't wait to see what happens. especially with my husband as he's the one who's always with me (& enabling). wish them HOPE for me. good luck to all :)
giniu

Re: al-anon

Unread postby abclimo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

giniu: Hi and welcome! It's fantastic that your family is getting involved. Unfortunately, so many families wash their hands of us because we don't realize the pain we are causing them. I'm sure we can all think back and remember what our first meeting was like, how scared we were of going, how we were afraid the people there would think we were terrible people, etc. You know that so much of what you can gain from a meeting depends on what you invest in that meeting, going, sharing honestly, and listening to what is said. If it doesn't at first, remember that all meetings are not the same and they may need a different location to find one that works better for them. I will keep your family in my thoughts that all goes well for them.
abclimo

Unread postby giniu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:42 pm

husband & daughter wen thursday pm... they weren't impressed. i'm feeling they need to go with me annony. for whatever reason. i don't think they expected whatever they got. feelin bad,,,hubby in medical pain ... doesn't make any better. what to do... what to do ...
giniu

Unread postby giniu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:02 pm

think hubby & daughter wanted a quick fix ... not knowing what to expect ... like all of us. i'm thinking they should just hang in like me, & listen to what people say. daugher told bro that ( ineed to add that son is 40 & daugher is 32) they went and he want to go but they are feeling out of sorts (lol) me too )... my big prob is hubby ids going thru med issues whiches confuses alot of crap & i'm really confused & scarred. can anyone tell i'm picking up? m facing things i don't want to face......drink, ramble, drink, ramble ,,,,,,,
giniu

Unread postby giniu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 pm

1st time hubby & daughter went to mtng. they were not impressed. thinkin they were scared. HELP ......
giniu

Unread postby abclimo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:46 am

giniu: Welcome back! Have them go to another meeting, in a different location. All meetings are not the same, unfortunately. I have been to meetings where I have felt very welcome from walking through the door, and other meetings, are very self contained and don't make anyone new feel welcome. I have never gone back to those meetings where I did not feel welcome. It's a huge difference in environment and how the meeting will help your family through this. Let us know how it goes after the next meeting. For you, it's important to stay involved in your recovery and stay clean/sober.
abclimo

Unread postby giniu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:52 pm

hubby & daughter (& close friend) had a very successful al-anon meeting last thurs. they're attending again tonite. hubby is very much looking forward to this. i wish i felt that good about my AA meetings. i'm just glad they're getting something out of this. FULL CIRCLE - i'm sure we'll all make it.
giniu

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:06 am

Giniu: Hi and glad to see you're posting. If you don't feel you're getting a lot out of your meetings, maybe you need to find a different location. I know I have said it before, but all meetings are not the same. I tried a bunch before I settled on 3 that I was comfortable at and that I felt could be helpful and were a great environment for recovery. Keep looking, your meeting is out there. In the mean time, keep posting here and do some reading from "The big book". It might help you through some things. It's important to talk to people about what you are feeling, believe me, they've been there before too. Keep going to meetings and tell yourself you can do this, that your family is worth it.
abclimo

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism