How do you stop doing what you love to do ??

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

How do you stop doing what you love to do ??

Unread postby delcomark » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 am

I know I drink too much. I know I should stop drinking seeing as how trying to moderate doesnt work for me. Once I start I keep going till im drunk. I wanna try AA but Im too scared to go to a meeting. So how does this whole thing work?
delcomark

Re: How do you stop doing what you love to do ??

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 am

if you're not ready to quit you can go to 20 meetings a day it won't work. do you want to quit? if yes find the courage to go to an AA meeting -- see for yourself how this works. you'll be happy you went. if you don't want to quit then keep drinking and killing yourself one bottle at a time. just make sure you don't kill anybody while driving under the influence. Drunks kill innocent people every day. So what are your plans?

Unread postby here_to_help_you » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:52 pm

You have to want to quit for you and only you. I am 37 years old. I have been married one time. I was married to my husband for almost 20 years. Long story short, on August the 10th of 2009, he made the decision to drink and drive. Not only was he killed, but he killed someone else. He was 3 times the legal limit. He left behind two daughters. They are now 13 and 18. Their father will never see them going to college, getting married, and ect. When thinking about getting help, think of everyone who loves and cares for you. Don't be scared to go to an AA meeting. Most everyone is there for the same reason you are.
here_to_help_you

Unread postby delcomark » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks for the input. Still havnt been to a meeting yet. I just cant seem to bring myself to go. But yes I would like to stop drinking.
delcomark

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

Mark: Hi and welcome! You say you want to stop drinking, and you can do it. It won't be easy and temptation will pop up where you least expect it. Definitely find some meetings to go to, they are not all the same, if you don't like the first one, go to some others. Don't be scared to go, no one there will judge you for what you have done, because they've been there themselves. If you don't want to share, you don't have to, but listen to what is being said. You'll hear so many stories that will be somewhat similar to yours. Some of the people at meetings are just starting out, and some have 20 or more years clean and sober. They still attend meetings to help others who are just starting out or who are struggling with an addiction. Alcohol is an addiction just like drugs. It's important to get phone lists of people who you can call before you drink. Moderation is not in our vocabulary. It's an all or nothing scenario when you are an addict, once we start, we can't stop. When I went to my first meeting, I was so scared that I almost passed out. When I walked in, people came over to me and welcomed me and the fear and uncomfortable feeling went away. I never realized until I was clean and sober how much I was hurting my family, I thought I was only hurting myself by slowly poisoning myself. You can do this, just keep at it.
abclimo

Unread postby delcomark » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks abclimo. And to' here-to-help-u' , I would just like to tell you that i'm so sorry for the the loss you suffered. I hope things are better now.
delcomark

Unread postby abclimo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Here we are at the weekend again, where does the time go? I know this is the time of biggest temptation. Before you take that first drink or use that drug, think about what you are doing and don't do it. Call someone, text, email, go for a walk, go to the mall, do anything that will distract you from what destruction you were thinking of doing. There are so many other things we can do when we are not abusing ourselves, we don't have to wake up wondering what we did last night and wondering who we hurt. It's a great feeling to wake up and know where you were last night and that you don't have anything to regret. I'd like to challenge all of us to stay clean/sober this weekend. I think we can do it!
abclimo

Unread postby delcomark » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 am

Is there anybody from DELCO that can recomend a good meeting to go to? It will be my first one but I think i'm ready.
delcomark

Unread postby delcomark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

abclimo wrote:
> Mark: Hi and welcome! You say you want to stop drinking, and you can do
> it. It won't be easy and temptation will pop up where you least expect it.
> Definitely find some meetings to go to, they are not all the same, if you
> don't like the first one, go to some others. Don't be scared to go, no one
> there will judge you for what you have done, because they've been there
> themselves. If you don't want to share, you don't have to, but listen to
> what is being said. You'll hear so many stories that will be somewhat
> similar to yours. Some of the people at meetings are just starting out,
> and some have 20 or more years clean and sober. They still attend meetings
> to help others who are just starting out or who are struggling with an
> addiction. Alcohol is an addiction just like drugs. It's important to get
> phone lists of people who you can call before you drink. Moderation is not
> in our vocabulary. It's an all or nothing scenario when you are an addict,
> once we start, we can't stop. When I went to my first meeting, I was so
> scared that I almost passed out. When I walked in, people came over to me
> and welcomed me and the fear and uncomfortable feeling went away. I never
> realized until I was clean and sober how much I was hurting my family, I
> thought I was only hurting myself by slowly poisoning myself. You can do
> this, just keep at it.

Im going to go to my first meeting tonight. If for no other reason than to just check it out and see how I like it...
delcomark

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Delcomark: Hope you went to your first meeting last night and that all went well. Post back and let us know.
abclimo

Unread postby delcomark » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:12 am

Hi abclimo. No I didnt go last. Im going to one in about 2 hrs. 1230 pm meeting. Someone recommended it to me because its a beginners meeting and not to far from where im at. Im definitely going and feeling a bit nervous about it. But luckily a good friend of mine who also struggles with alcohol is going with me. Even though I may be a little nervous im also very much looking forward to seeing what its like and how I'm going to feel about it. I feel like this is a very big step for me. I just hope that i'm strong enough to see it through and make it work.
delcomark

Unread postby delcomark » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Finally went to my first meeting yesterday afternoon. Going to try to make another one tonight.
delcomark

Unread postby abclimo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Mark: Congrats! Hope your second meeting went as well for you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and prayers.
abclimo

Return to New to Recovery?