I keep saying im going to go to a meeting.

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

I keep saying im going to go to a meeting.

Unread postby delcomark » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:23 am

Almost every day I say that I'm going to go to an aa meeting and stop drinking. But I cant seem to bring myself to do it. I know I need to stop drinking. I drink everyday and it seems lately I been drinking more and more everyday. Once I have a drink I just tell myself that I cant go to a meeting now because I already had a drink. I really am trying to get up the nerve to finally go. Does anyone have any advice?
delcomark

Re: I keep saying im going to go to a meeting.

Unread postby bigfrank20 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Yes you can go to AA drinking or drunk. You will be welcome.
bigfrank20

Unread postby Grateful in Pa » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:10 am

The only requirement for attendance at a meeting is the desire to stop drinking. Check it out, you may be suprised at how you are received.
Grateful in Pa

Unread postby sober on spruce » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Dear Big Frank,

You know the old NIKE saying..... Just DO it! It's clear your old pattern isn't working. Listen to that voice inside your head that is saying just go to a meeting......That's the part of you that wants to get well and be sober. I wish you well.

Sober on spruce
sober on spruce

Unread postby kno the feeling » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 am

hi - just got the courage to go to my first meeting on 8/1. it was a beginners meeting, and a small group of really great people. i was even late - but everyone welcomed me , i couldnt even look up, i felt so embarrassed, but every single person there went through the same thing when they first came, somebody said the tried to attend 4 times and drove by, another person said he looked in the window and just couldnt bring himself to come in a few times... everyone there is struggling with their addiction and the problems it has caused them/ It will help you move forward just do it - u will feel so much better and get alot of support. you dont have to say a word. I just sit and listen- it is helpful, especially since withdraw has left my brain foggy.
kno the feeling

Unread postby BklynChik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Just go. Stop allowing the thoughts to dictate, it's the disease talking. Find a meeting today and go. I also faltered at going when I first admitted I had a problem. I almost didn't make it in the door of the meeting. But I kept thinking that it was either doing that or go further downhill. I was welcomed with such open arms and it's been the greatest thing I've ever done for myself.

Find a meeting TODAY and GO!
BklynChik

Unread postby delcomark » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:07 am

Thanks for the advice. I still havnt gone to a meeting but I think this may be the week I do it.
delcomark

Unread postby BklynChik » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Good for you! Would you like some support before and after? If so, just say the word. If you want, declare what day/time you're going and then we can check in with you after!
BklynChik

Unread postby delcomark » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:36 am

made it to my first meeting yesterday.
delcomark

Unread postby kristen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm

good how was it im getting to one soon i hope
kristen

Unread postby delcomark » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Well Kristen. It was interesting. It was crowed. About 30 people. I didnt share, but listening to everybody was good. Its kind of an eye opener to hear so many people talking about the same issues that you have. You realize your all sort of in the same boat hoping you can keep it afloat long enough to find land before your boat completely sinks. Im going to try to make another one tonight. Maybe I'll find the nerve to share and tell a little about my own story.
delcomark

Unread postby kristen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:15 pm

oh that many people hummm i think maybe ill go and just listen glad you went its giving me the strength that i can go and sit and listen too have a great night
kristen

Unread postby Ripley » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm glad you made it finally. I've been trying myself for years.
Ripley

Unread postby delcomark » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:26 am

Well im going to my 5th meeting tonight. I been telling myself for along time that I need to do something about my drinking before I drink myself to death. By walking into that fist meeting 2 wks ago was a big step for me and Im glad I finally got the courage to do it. I guess its tough for everyone in the beginning but im determined to get through the rough part and just stay sober.
delcomark

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 am

Delcomark: Congrats on finding your way to meetings! I'm glad you were able to do it and have found that you're not so different from everyone else there. We're all basically struggling the same struggles, just our pathways are a little different. Keep going, you can do this!
abclimo

Return to New to Recovery?