I just joined today

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

I just joined today

Unread postby joshinsedona » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 am

Hi,

my name is Josh, I just joined today. I have been drinking way too much for way too long. I am so ready to get sober ! I drink every night, and have not been able to stop by cutting down. I now realize that I have to quit all together.

I would welcome any advice or support.

thank you,

Josh
joshinsedona

Re: I just joined today

Unread postby green eyes » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 am

Welcome and get to a real meeting if you are able asap it is so much better i think than on line. it is a scary illness and robs so much from your life and all those around you. Not to mention all the troubles it causes - for me it is like having a serial killer in your head stalking you but it does and can and will get better a day at a time. I wish I could get to a meeting everyday sometimes more than one.
green eyes

Unread postby joshinsedona » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks Green Eyes. I found a meeting locally tonight and I will go as you suggsted.....my first and a bit scarry but I need to fight this with everything I have. I like your serial killer analogy.

Josh
joshinsedona

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:24 am

Josh: Hi and welcome! It's great that you recognized that you have a problem and don't want to continue in that self destructive path of addiction. Whether it's alcohol, drugs, shopping, sex, etc it's still an addiction and we don't understand and can't do moderation. The only way is abstinence. It's great that you are going to a meeting and I hope that went well for you. All meetings are not the same. In the beginning when I was "auditioning" meetings, I found some that were very cold feeling and I found others that were so warm and caring. Needless to say, I don't go to the cold meetings and have found a place in the meetings where the atmosphere was warm, caring, and helpful towards staying clean/sober and recovering. I have found friends in those rooms and people I know that I can count on when I need to talk to someone about things. They are people I can call friends, true friends. Please keep posting here, we can't do this individually, but together we can all help each other and succeed at beating this disease. It's a terrible disease and if we don't deal with it, it can and will kill us. Post back and hugs!
abclimo

Unread postby joshinsedona » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:19 am

Hi ABC,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and all your good comments. I liked your idea of "auditioning" meeting groups. The meeting I went to was okay, but I think I will keep looking. I am just beginning to understand that this will be a process. Three days sober !

thank you,

Josh
joshinsedona

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 am

Josh: Congrats on your sober days! Definitely keep looking at other meetings, they are so not the same. You'll know the right ones when you walk through the door. It's definitely a process and one of the most difficult things you'll have to do, but your life depends on it. You can do it, just keep telling yourself that.
abclimo

Unread postby teatime22 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 pm

I joined today! I have not had alcohol since january 20. I decided enough is enough. No looking back. The trick will be avoiding addicted family members. :? I make bad choices while drunk, I will not compromise all the great things I have going for me. Go us; way to "nip it in the bud"! Congratulations on your newfound sobriety!
teatime22

Unread postby care4sober » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 am

Me too. Hi everyone!
care4sober

Unread postby Erinlynn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi I'm Erin . So overdue to get sober. I really want it this time. I have and want to for myself and my wife and daughter. I am a beautiful person sober...and the devil when I'm drunk. I'm so sick of feeling like crap with sadness, guilt, shame and hangovers!. I get so mean and throw things. I even gave my partner/wife a split lip. I feel absolutely sick about it. She even needs stitches. Alcohol for me is like a bag of Doritos . I can't just have one. I'm fine when I abstain for a few days and then wham! Binge drinking takes hold of me. I lost my father to this horrible disease and I don't want to lose me!! I definitely don't want to pull a Whitney Houston or Anna Nicole. Im a smart woman. I can do this. I know it!!!
Erinlynn

Unread postby teatime22 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:10 pm

That is the spirit Erin! I have to keep reinforcing the fact that just one drink will escalate, taking me back to old habits. Iam lucky my cravings are not bad, they last 15 secomds tops. I talk myself out of drinking with those remi.ders of bad choices i have made. It has been 37 days, im not sure of it will be harder as time goes on? I feel pretty confident, but my guard is up.
teatime22

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion