abstinence vs embracing sobriety

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

abstinence vs embracing sobriety

Unread postby Conrn » Fri May 11, 2012 3:28 pm

This is my first post since I am new to sobriety online. I have been clean from narcotics since Nov. 23, 2008. I stopped a 2 ppd smoking habit 16 mo.ago, and stopped drinking 4mo. ago. I am extremely proud of my accomplishments but now I live like a hermit. I am having trouble figuring out how to have fun since up until now it seems most of my good times have been associated with drugs and alcohol. Many drugs I did socially including coke and weed, but I was addicted to Percocet. I need to learn how to enjoy things again rather than always thinking "this would be so much more fun if I was high or drunk!" Any advice?
Conrn

Re: abstinence vs embracing sobriety

Unread postby Odelia » Wed May 16, 2012 8:32 pm

You should be very proud of yourself, you're able to have a clear head, remember things, etc.....all so worth it. I struggle for what you have everyday. Your sobriety is precious! Hope this puts a smile on your face and takes the concern away, if not for a little while. Stay strong.
Odelia

Re: abstinence vs embracing sobriety

Unread postby bbmcgee65 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:12 am

are you in a 12 step program, if not, it may be a good idea to check it out, the hard part is putting the plug in the jug, and getting clean from any mood altering substance. you sound like you already have that part started. being part of a group of aa or na, will show you tools you will need in your everyday life. i struggled with that very idea, what do i do now? there are so many things to do and ppl to do them with out there...if you do a search for a meeting, you will meet like minded ppl, and just going to meetings, is a type of social setting in itself. ive been in AA for just over 7 yrs, and i have a life today that i never imagined...something happens when you talk or help another alcoholic or addict...it keeps you happy joyous and free, and best of all sober. i didnt get sober to be miserable, so i make sure to do all that was suggested to me and i have a different life now. because alcohol, drugs, or whatever someones drug of choice is, is just a symptom. for me it was alcohol, but the real problem was and still is, me, and the cool thing about that is i can change me. its all about perspective. i hope it helped, if you ever need to talk, you can msg me.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:12 am.
bbmcgee65

Return to New to Recovery?