Reintroduction after 16 years???

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Reintroduction after 16 years???

Unread postby gin » Sun May 27, 2012 4:28 pm

This one had 7 years, got married to a man who uses and now after 16 years of blacking out every night have decided to come clean with myself. I am scared but calm. I know I have done the right thing. Everything we did in leisure was around booze, etc. This should be interesting! I'm not from around Philly but live in state. Hope to make some on line connections for support and advice.
gin

Re: Reintroduction after 16 years???

Unread postby gin » Mon May 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Well, I'll just write to myself...make it a diary...keep my own company-what the hell? This is day three.
gin

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:07 am

I am now on day 3... I have no advice and like you I am here to seek advice.

Unread postby lbs5254 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:50 am

Hi,

Just started back in the AA frame of mind. Had 17 years of sobriety and went back out there. Started checking for meetings and there are NONE WITHIN TEN MILES OF MY HOUSE! What is up with that???? I am from out-of-state and have been in the S.W. Pittsburgh area for 10 months. Are there just so few alcoholics out here?

I will keep searching and reaching out for help. Seems like Sobriety Online is not very active. Is it new?
lbs5254

Unread postby Heavyheart » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:34 am

I'm not sure it's new, and there does seem to be a lag on some posts in people responding. I'm one of those AA, Al-Anon types myself. Have gone years without using alcohol, then about a year ago started again with undiagnosed pain that the ETOH seemed to help. Am trying to be "controlled" again with it now. I want to give support, but have a paraplegic husband, disabled 14 yr old son with a fatal neurodegenerative disease who requires a lot of care, and two other teens, a 17 yr old boy, and 13 yr old girl. Also three rescue dogs. :D Finally said "No" to anymore rescue animals because I end up doing a great deal of the work for them too! And boy do THEY have problems. My husband is understandably a control freak (was paralyzed at age 12, has never had a drink in his life) was working independently for years with a great income,met and married me after being single all his life and ended up needing to have his lumbar spine rebuilt, (in NY - we live in PA), getting laid off twice in five years, and now has decided to "stay home" on disability. SIgh. He's going to his first Al-Anon meeting tonight. This is a man who had a great upbringing despite his injury, happy, close family, no one ever screwed up, etc.

I come from a family where there was alcohol misuse, sexual/physical/emotional abuse that was not allowed to be discussed because my Dad was a prominent physician who ended up with severe dementia, and we lived in a small town, so we "HAD" to protect his reputation. Now that he has passed my siblings won't tolerate any mention of any of the negatives about him. I'm the youngest and my Mom needed me a lot because "YOU gave me a reason to live when your father was having an affair" and also getting angry and hitting us, and I'd hold her hand while she cried when he'd roar off in his sports car to go to a "no-tell" bar. Can you tell I need a meeting? ANY kind of meeting at this point? Keep posting and I'll try to be supportive. I know we can do this, and I'll go dry completely to join in with you. Vodka has been my only real stumbling block. Could always handle beer or wine. My handle when logged in is HeavyHeart. So PM me, and I"ll try to get back to you as quick as I can. YOU CAN DO IT!!! OUR LIVES OUR WORTH IT!!!!

Peace, and blessings!!
Heavyheart

Return to New to Recovery?