What to do...

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

What to do...

Unread postby kat782 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:16 am

I love my husband, i do and he is a functioning alcoholic. He rarely ever misses a day of work, even if he drank 18 beers the night before and only gets 4hrs of sleep (like tonight), he'll still get up at 6am and be at work on time. We've been married for 7 yrs and have 2 young kids, 2 & 6. He's had 3 DUIs before i met him and on our first date i had no idea he had a drinking issue so i ordered a drink with dinner and he did as well. Later he tells me how that was his first drink in a year since he'd gone to AA (court mandated of course). Sometimes, i feel like its my fault he started drinking again. Some days, things are ok but 5 out of 7 days a week, he's drinking, a lot. I hate what it turns him into. I cant confront him about drinking too much because it sets him off, he's not physical but verbal. I dont want a divorce, i want him, us to get help.

Tonight, i was on the computer and he saw i was reading up on 'how to tell if your spouse is an alcoholic.' He got so mad, he left without saying where he was going, he was already drunk anyways, and went to the bar across the street (convenient).

I feel so alone and sad and like im going crazy over this. Ive had an affair that he found out about, last year. He went around telling everyone about my affair, including my friends and family, his friends and family. They all look at me like im disgusting now, which i deserve i guess. Meanwhile, he is held up on a pedestal and i just want to scream and say, do you know what its like living with an alcoholic?? But they dont. So, i stay quiet and if it werent for my 2 babies, id kill myself to escape this.
kat782

Re: What to do...

Unread postby Mother » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:04 am

I feel so sorry for you. My son just got his second DUI. He went to AA for a couple times and stopped. I don't think your husband or my son realize they are alcoholics. I think they feel it is just letting off steam. However, they hurt the ones around them. We are the ones that have to deal with the children and mop up after what they do. Have your kids noticed?
Mother

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism