First Time Here

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

First Time Here

Unread postby dancingbat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Middle aged social drinker with no problems until about 3 years ago. Started having occasional binges. Missing more and more time from work due to hangover. 7 days this year. But I don't drink all the time. So well meaning friends family tell me I'm not an alcoholic and to just not go overboard. But I can't control myself. There's no such thing as 1 beer, glass or shot for me. And I'm not reremembering what I do when I'm drunk. So maybe it's only 7 times a year or so....but it's affecting my life and I'm losing valuable vacation days ,which I should be using to enjoy my life, to nursing my hangovers. So no matter what anyone tells me I AM AN ALCOHOLIC. Am too hung over for a meeting today so will go tomorrow. I am sick of being sick and hating myself. Glad I found this forum.
dancingbat

Re: First Time Here

Unread postby Christoph » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Best of luck to you in finding meetings that meet your needs and schedule. I've been dragging my heels for the past couple of weeks. Welcome to the forum.
Christoph

Unread postby navysteve95 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 pm

I would suggest you read some of the Big Book. In particular page 44. It addresses one way to diagnose one self alcoholic or not
navysteve95

Unread postby Christoph » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm going to get a copy of the "Big Book" 4th edition VERY SOON! Looking forward to studying it. I had a set back yesterday. Going to a meeting tonight and put my feet back on the path.
Christoph

Unread postby newday » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 am

yuo are beautiful for just signing up for this forum, taking action. When any substance effects your life, controls your life, it takes a strong person to put up a fight against it. You can do whatever YOU want to do in this life. Believe that you can and that there are so many around you who are trying to do the same. You can conquor this:)
newday

Return to New to Recovery?