Better game plan needed for addiction treatment

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Better game plan needed for addiction treatment

Unread postby November_rain » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:46 am

There's a great article in the Philadelphia Inquirer this morning: "BETTER GAME PLAN NEEDED FOR ADDICTION TREATMENT".
To read the article, copy and paste this link in your browser: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120901_Better_game_plan_needed_for_addiction_treatment.html?viewAll=y

It addresses important issues and we'd love to hear what you have to say!!!

- Drug and alcohol abuse: A chronic illness or a moral failing? At Sobriety Online we all know it's a chronic illness. But do you how your family members, friends, co-workers "see" it? What do you think?

- Are you part of a treatment program? What works and what doesn't work for you? What would you change?

- Are you taking medications?

- Some medications are considered major advances in addiction treatment: Methadone, suboxone, vivitrol and naltrexone. Have you tried any of them?

Please share your thoughts, your concerns, your experiences, your struggles, your fears.
November_rain

Re: Better game plan needed for addiction treatment

Unread postby navysteve95 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:29 am

Two major concerns:

People in the 12 step fellowship telling newcomers they aren't clean and sober when taking prescribed medication. The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous tells us "But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons." (page 133) yet there is a certain degree of of distrust towards this very community that has saved us time and time again.

Secondly, we aren't always the most honest folks in the world, so when we seek a doctors help it should be with 100% honesty. "Doc I am a recovering alcoholic/ addict..." is a good way to start
navysteve95

Unread postby ellaboo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:20 pm

please help me with this question. i have trouble with binge drinking. should i go to an AA meeting?
ellaboo

Unread postby November_rain » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 am

Hello ellaboo,
Yes, go to an AA meeting, talk to your doctor, try to understand why you have trouble with binge drinking. And share with other people who understand where you're coming from. You are not alone.
November_rain

Unread postby rockymark092 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:37 am

It is a nice post
rockymark092

Re: Better game plan needed for addiction trea

Unread postby renewedman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Have you tried a 12 step recovery?
renewedman

Unread postby surferrandys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 am

November_rain wrote:
> Hello ellaboo,
> Yes, go to an AA meeting, talk to your doctor, try to understand why you
> have trouble with binge drinking. And share with other people who
> understand where you're coming from. You are not alone.

There is more to addiction than many realize. The 12 steps are spiritual based and were written from Bill Wilsons Attendance in the Oxford groups. Bill W and Dr. Bob failed to reach other drunks in the beginning because they told them to get down on their hands and knees and pray to God. The concept of a higher power was not in place yet.

Also, the 4th step inventory was written based on character flaws and not the underlying causes for addiction. For Example fear. Everyone has fears some healthy and some not so healthy. But what caused these fears to the extent to cause someone crossing the line into addiction? Child Abuse, dysfunction in the family, many things were not known about in the early days. To this day it is still about the 4th step and this is but a broad based beginning and No spiritual experience is going to work for everyone. We are all separate individuals and to generalize and say we are all the same in respect to the program as a whole is an understatement.

What is needed are professional trained in helping people recognize these deep seated issues and to also become more educated in addiction and not use outdated methods from 1939. True recovery for some who were not as bad off as others and recognize there underlying issues but this is not going to work for everyone.
surferrandys

Unread postby surferrandys » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 pm

A lot of people these days have serious issues that a 4th step inventory cannot solve. or the meetings alone. In order to treat any addiction, it is always best to make sure someone is not just trying to get straigh and just needs time. The professionals still fail to realize that a mental illness or someone who has gone through a dysfunctional family needs help outside the program. But with most, the courts and doctors just throw them into meetings as the ultimate solution.

I believe in treating the mental issues a lot of people have and send them to get the help they really need. Yes do not drink or use but at the same time, get the help they need first. Many times people in AA and NA try to play Dr. or force their sobriety on them like their way is the only way. I went through this myself and aside from meetings, I had to get professional help or like many I would have drank or used again. In the next few years the medical society is working towards a new treatment instead of just throwing people into a program.
surferrandys

Unread postby Phoebe34 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:58 pm

I too am a binge drinker. Tomorrow I will go to my first mtg in 12 years. I had ten yrs sober then picked up after 9/11. My drinking has gotten out of control. I know the 12 steps work!!!
Phoebe34

Unread postby MayReen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:30 pm

I have many reservations in regards to 12 step programs, from what I have seen on tv, they look so degrading! It is my belief that addiction comes from sadness, or depression. I believe that to be successful and become healthy again, these underlying issues MUST be addressed, why the medical community doesn't get that, I will never understand! :roll:
MayReen

Unread postby personinterrupted » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:04 pm

I just found Sobriety Online and registered. It is a revelation to me there are medications specifically designed to help me stop drinking. I printed the names and descriptions of each of them: Naltrexone, Campral, and Vivitrex and will make a doctor's appointment today. Since this is all new to me, would anyone care to share thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc, with any or all of these medications? Thanks.
personinterrupted

Unread postby DeBauw » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:59 am

My suggestion is unique because I take prescription meds that make me feel drunk and then causes me towant to come up with cocaine....very scary because I have heart trouble....which also caused a relapse...now Im staring over again with a fear oftaking my psych meds....what do I do? The best advice Ive heard is to get different meds that dont make me feel this drunk way....but I cant afford to experiment because cocain could be life or death for me...I need help TOO
DeBauw

Unread postby Guest » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:46 pm

ellaboo wrote:
> please help me with this question. i have trouble with binge drinking.
> should i go to an AA meeting?

I'm 54, I've been a binge drinker since i was 13, then I hit 21 and I was off to the races, weekend warrior type.
Yes you should go to A.A., it won't hurt, encouragement is a good thing.

Unread postby marka8788 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Its a soul sickness no pill can fix a broken soul only a power greater than the human mind can do the healing. but for the grace of my higher power I would have been a dead man a long time ago. my heart is hurting with the lose of my mother and the love of my life just in the last few months. and the old timers told me I didn't have to take a pill for a broken heart or take a drink. AA and meditation saved my whole being my soul has been healed.
marka8788

Unread postby Ministry02241970 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:10 am

why is it so hard to find meetings online ? so many gimmicks
Ministry02241970

Next

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion