Getting Started Center City Philadelphia

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Getting Started Center City Philadelphia

Unread postby Michael3418 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 am

So I would like to stop drinking for good. I never hit rock bottom or anything but it is time to stop. I have gone plenty of nights black out drunk and spent 1000s of dollars on booze and all that but I need to find a way to stop for good. I need to find a community where nightlife does not revolve around going out for drinks.

For instance my friend came to the city last night and wanted to see me it was around 11. Well the only places open are bars. I have stopped drinking many times but I always fall back into drinking because that is all there is to do. I have spent more than half my life drinking and I am only 36. I need to find a different life.

Is AA my best bet? If so how do you start? Do you just walk into a meeting unannounced? Do you have to participate off the bat? Do you automatically get signed a sponsor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.
Michael
Michael3418

Re: Getting Started Center City Philadelphia

Unread postby sparkz79 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:13 am

I'm in south Philly..new to bein sober...nice to talk to someone who understands if u want. I'm 33. U like coffee..I like tea...email if u wanna catch up sparkz79@yahoo.com

-dawn
sparkz79

Unread postby backintouch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:41 am

Hi, yes, I believe the AA is anyones best bet for learning to live life without alcohol. the only requirement for aa membership is a disire to stop drinking. Do you have that desire?? It sounds like you do. So, walk into a meeting.. listen to learn, and learn to listen. Identify, do not compare. Go back again the next day if you can. find others that you feel comfortable and ask them if you can have their phone number, they will be glad to give it to you, that's how they stay sober is by helping someone else. you asked, "do I have to get a sponsor right away?" You do NOT NEED to do anything in AA. There are NO MUSTS.. ONLY things that are highly suggested, that others have done that have worked for them. I hope that helps. If it helps you.. think about this... you say you haven't hit "a bottom",, it sounds to me,like you have hit, your bottom.. you've had enough,, it sounds like. I wish you the best.
backintouch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:45 pm

backintouch wrote:
> Hi, yes, I believe the AA is anyones best bet for learning to live life without alcohol.
> the only requirement for aa membership is a disire to stop drinking. Do you have
> that desire?? It sounds like you do. So, walk into a meeting.. listen to learn,
> and learn to listen. Identify, do not compare. Go back again the next day if you
> can. find others that you feel comfortable and ask them if you can have their phone
> number, they will be glad to give it to you, that's how they stay sober is by helping
> someone else. you asked, "do I have to get a sponsor right away?" You do NOT NEED
> to do anything in AA. There are NO MUSTS.. ONLY things that are highly suggested,
> that others have done that have worked for them. I hope that helps. If it helps
> you.. think about this... you say you haven't hit "a bottom",, it sounds to me,like
> you have hit, your bottom.. you've had enough,, it sounds like. I wish you the
> best.
Michael3418 wrote:
> So I would like to stop drinking for good. I never hit rock bottom or
> anything but it is time to stop. I have gone plenty of nights black out
> drunk and spent 1000s of dollars on booze and all that but I need to find a
> way to stop for good. I need to find a community where nightlife does not
> revolve around going out for drinks.
>
> For instance my friend came to the city last night and wanted to see me it
> was around 11. Well the only places open are bars. I have stopped drinking
> many times but I always fall back into drinking because that is all there
> is to do. I have spent more than half my life drinking and I am only 36. I
> need to find a different life.
>
> Is AA my best bet? If so how do you start? Do you just walk into a meeting
> unannounced? Do you have to participate off the bat? Do you automatically
> get signed a sponsor?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank You.
> Michael

i would love to meet people that are sober. I am tried of drinking and being around alcoholics. I have been in denial for so long and i am ready to change. I finally realize d the affects it plaques on my family. Everybody in my circle drinks and i am not ashamed to admit that i need help.I have wasted so much money on alcohol that i just feel so so stupid at times and the sad think about it, is that i no better but whats i start i just cant stop.What a fool i was and from this day on i will stop because i love myself and know that i cant handle it anymore and i am scared that something bad will eventually happen if i continue.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:45 pm.

Return to New to Recovery?