19 Year Old Daughter

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

19 Year Old Daughter

Unread postby hlp4lvd1 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi there...I am new here. But, I do have a question as I am considering sending my 19 year old daughter to an AA meeting as she recently decided to drink 2 of my husband's beers in front of my 11 year old son (who was very inquisitive during this whole decision of hers). She just returned from college where she partied pretty heavily. Poor grades and her attitude is awful. All this said, I was wondering if AA would be a good place for her to hear others' stories and give her pause so that, perhaps she will make better decisions and realize the impact of her recent choices.

I know the courts will send folks who have received DUIs to attend meetings -- I guess I would be using this as the same tool for my daughter.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
hlp4lvd1

Re: 19 Year Old Daughter

Unread postby Almac » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi
I'm new to this. I arrived here because my daughter was put in an ankle bracelet and must do 90 meetings on 90 days. This is the result of a DUI accident on Christmas morning. My wife and I are extremely upset over this whole situation. Our lawyer recommended al anon. It is support for families of alcoholics. We are hoping our daughter gets the help she needs.
Almac

Re: 19 Year Old Daughter

Unread postby ladyactor2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:26 pm

hlp4lvd1 wrote:
> Hi there...I am new here. But, I do have a question as I am considering
> sending my 19 year old daughter to an AA meeting as she recently decided to
> drink 2 of my husband's beers in front of my 11 year old son (who was very
> inquisitive during this whole decision of hers). She just returned from
> college where she partied pretty heavily. Poor grades and her attitude is
> awful. All this said, I was wondering if AA would be a good place for her
> to hear others' stories and give her pause so that, perhaps she will make
> better decisions and realize the impact of her recent choices.
>
> I know the courts will send folks who have received DUIs to attend meetings
> -- I guess I would be using this as the same tool for my daughter.
>
> Thoughts?
> :D There is hope...I have been active in Alanon for 25 years..my daughter was the same age as yours when she found sobriety ...I had to stay out of her way and let her fail.
Going to Alanon gave me the courage to do what I needed to do ..I tried to find her a sponsor...get her to meetings...but none of it worked.
By taking care of me first and setting boundaries for her..what I would and would not tolerate from her behavior.
Letting her suffer was the best thing I ever did...when you put them in God's hands..He wants to save them more than we do.
She is 17 years sober...cause I stopped picking her up...and propping her up with my rescue.
It was very hard to watch her suffer...I prayed she would not die or kill anyone...everything else was optional.
She did go to treatment..court ordered...but that only gave her a vacation from using.
Letting her find her own way...and being on my knees for her and me...worked!
> Thanks in advance.
ladyactor2

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism