New here and to Recovery

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Re: New here and to Recovery

Unread postby detroitmcroy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:00 am

This is a good site for me, I am new and 2 days sober. I have a lot of family that loves me and want to see me sober. My test will come, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, this is when I do most of my drinking. I am declaring war on my drinking, I go about a month without drinking sometimes two, but I always return to the alcohol. This time I will join AA I will not go it alone.
detroitmcroy

Unread postby detroitmcroy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:22 pm

detroitmcroy wrote:
> This is a good site for me, I am new and 2 days sober. I have a lot of
> family that loves me and want to see me sober. My test will come, Friday,
> Saturday, and Sunday, this is when I do most of my drinking. I am declaring
> war on my drinking, I go about a month without drinking sometimes two, but
> I always return to the alcohol. This time I will join AA I will not go it
> alone.
detroitmcroy

Unread postby Itsme » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 am

I am extemely new to this site and also to recovery...I can not even consider stateing recovery just yet since I am currently having a beer. I searched alcholism and then AA meetings in my area which in turn led me to this site. First it was via mobile which I was struggling with and in my defense I struggle with mobile internet even while sober lol. I have known for quite sometime I have a problem with alcohol and honestly don't know how I will stop being is I have tried yet my live in companion drinks on a daily basis and is no help in the situation yet, loves to blame every problem in our relationship on me...smh. When I go through my spells of trying not to drink he continues to drink we still have problems because drinking is not the only problem so I use the excuse we have issues and if there are going to be problems when I'm not drinking than f it may as well have a drink and and the worst part I am only person hurting myself & my babies...ugh...and the best part no matter what he will always blame it all on me... I really hope that I will be able to focus on getting myslef better. I have three beautiful children 20, 17, and 3. The two oldest use to love and respect me and as of late I know they love me but, respect is dwindling. The 3 year old don't know any better yet I can tell he has been suffering the lifestyle he is forced to live is so different than the lifestyle the oldest had to live. I have lost so many loved ones over the years some old and some young and to be honest I more or less have become numb to death. I am not sure where to go from here...yes I know where I can go to a meeting and I am not sure how I feel about it going it alone. I am very scared and ashamed and not sure what this will do to my relationship either. I have many mixed emotions and don't know where to start. The meeting in my area that I am most interested in due to location, day, and time is not til Monday so for now I have this site and tomorrow I plan to run it all by someone close to me yet... where I know they will say I am making a good choice in going I don't think I will have them there to help walk me through the process :| Well, I will have to check in later. The other half will be getting up for work in a few and I don't have much time for sleep either. Have to get up and work and take care of my youngest at the same time. Work from home advantages and disadvantages... :'(
Itsme

Unread postby hlsilvia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:22 pm

i AM ALSO NEW TO RECOVERY.... STOPPED ON FRIDAY AND ITS IS A STRUGGLE BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF. THATS THE ONLY WAY I WILL GET THROUGH IT. ALSO HAVE FAITH IN THE PEOPLE WHO TRULY CARE ABOUT YOU AND THE WAY YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE IS THEY WILL ENCOURAGE YOU AND STICK BY YOU NO MATTER WHAT!!!
hlsilvia

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:49 am

I'm also new to recovery and it will be extremely hard because I am leaving behind someone that I love who has the same problem but refuses to admit it. Hard to leave someone behind that you love and hard to leave them in a bad place.

Unread postby bbop » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:15 pm

my problem seems strange--no drinking nor narcotic abuse although i have plenty of narcotics to take if i chose to do so. it's my meds for other health issues--anything with sedating side effects, anything to make an empty day just go away with sleep. i called for a psychiatrist and it's going to take weeks if, if my insurance will even cover. i am afraid to go to a meeting. afraid people will jump on me and deny my health issues. which quite frankly are rather scarey. i was in the psych hospital once and attended a meeting and two people yelled at me and labled me an addict when at that point i wasn't misusing anything but having a ptsd meltdowm. i feel too fragile to attend but i' have started misuisng these meds. then when they are needed i don't have them. so obviously there is a serious problem. please no one yell at me even on line.
bbop

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:24 pm

thank you all for sharing. reading other were afraid to go to a meeting made me feel better. right now this feels safe and safety is important. it will grow i know that now. never thought i'd thank the presence of a computer but here i go.

Unread postby Katarina806 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 am

New here too! Good luck! I am so afraid of attending a meeting too! " Know you are not alone. You are part of a fellowship that isn't going to
> judge you. And everything that happens in AA is anonymous. I understand if
> you are nervous about being seen. (Trust me, I almost wore a disguise to my
> first meeting. :lol: )"

HAAA, you know I might actually do that! Wear a wig and go to a different town! I truly am so scared of anyone I know seeing me go into a meeting!
Katarina806

Previous

Return to New to Recovery?