Hi... newbie here who is hooked on wine

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Hi... newbie here who is hooked on wine

Unread postby Katarina806 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:11 am

Hi all. I am brand new to this place as of today. I am a 42 year old wife and mother of a great 5 year old kid and to the outside world I have it all (I am in good shape, I have a great husband, good job, etc)... but the truth is I drink way too much. I never even drank in college or much at all in my 20s and early 30s. Now I drink so much wine every night and black out quite a bit. I am scared to death of stopping drinking but am also sick to death of being so dependent on wine. I joke about being a "functioning alcoholic" but thats what i am. People say "No, you're not an alcoholic! You have to be like Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas to be an alcoholic, but every time I take one of those online assessments, it's like "Oh yeah honey, YOU NEED HELP." I am shaking and crying and I want to attend my first meeting but am so damn scared. I can't imagine never drinking again. I want to admit it to a doctor so they can give me drugs that will make me violently ill if I drink. I can't make it through the work week without drinking. So, thats all. I am just scared, very scared. I need to work up the nerve to try a meeting. :(
Katarina806

Re: Hi... newbie here who is hooked on wine

Unread postby Mercy164 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm

I have been where you are. I understand how it feels to feel afraid of something new. I would be glad to help you. My name is Mercy, and I have been sober for 8 1/2 years. I have been going to meetings all of that time. I got free from alcohol because of AA, and I can teach you how to do the same...if you want. If you want to, please contact me here. If you want it to be personal, just ask and I can send you my phone number.
I hope you are well.
Mercy
Mercy164

Unread postby Katarina806 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks so much. AA saved my grandfathers life and marriage many years ago. I don't know why I am so scarred to just try it!
Katarina806

Unread postby Mercy164 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:54 am

If you feel like you are ready, I am here....
Mercy164

Return to New to Recovery?