Just want to throw this to the universe.

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Just want to throw this to the universe.

Unread postby Zarnoff » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm

So after a medical scare, it's apparently time to quit drinking. I don't know what qualifies as an alcoholic or a problem, but apparently 14 beers an evening is excessive. I was diagnosed with a TIA, and told that 20% of people who have one go on to a stroke. I'm still being checked out for liver damage. So I quit. Since last Thursday, anyways. My body has had a difficult time adjusting; alcohol was what regulated my sleep patterns. After I drank enough, I went to sleep. Now my sleep is much more intermittent, I usually wake every hour or so, but I remember my dreams for the first time in years.

I knew this day was coming. Nobody keeps drinking and things just stay alright. I figure I'm lucky that I got a warning before the hammer came down. My BP is over 165, my Cholesterol is ridiculous, and the tests on liver function are alarming. But I have good medical care, a supportive wife, and a good job that I manage to make it to, usually.

I don't really want to quit, but I have to. I think that's more motivation than wanting to. I was in the military for years and learned to do what you need to, not necessarily what I want to. Hopefully other veterans can lean back on that training.

Thanks for listening.
Zarnoff

Re: Just want to throw this to the universe.

Unread postby Guest » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Welcome. Best wishes on your journey into sobriety! Even though you didn't want to quit, you may find out its the best thing that ever happened to you :)

Unread postby Terakh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:33 pm

I am also starting to have medical issues caused by my long-time heavy drinking. It is difficult to quit, but I look at the medical alarm as a blessing in disguise. It gives me motivation to stop where I didn't have so much motivation before. Good luck and stay strong.
Terakh

Unread postby TomF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Hopefully, you'll consider your medical issues to be a "wake-up alarm" to start you down the road to sobriety.

As for the 14 beers in one night, you didn't go to sleep - you just passed out. You don't dream when you're unconscious. That's why you can now remember your dreams.

Find the AA meetings in your area and start going. Most folks cannot achieve sobriety on their own.
TomF

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion