Newbe

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Newbe

Unread postby MayReen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been on forums before for other things, hobbies and such, but never for anything like this!! I have been sober now for two weeks tomorrow and I feel great, not sure how long that will last, but I'll take it for now. I also suffer from depression and have been having a hell of a time finding a Therapist that does dual therapy for someone who HAS insurance, yes you read that right!!
Am contemplating going to an AA meeting tonight, I have never been. I have seen them on tv and what I saw I really didn't like, anyone care to share their experience with these sort of meetings??

Thanks! :?:
MayReen

Re: Newbe

Unread postby saucy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:01 am

Congrats on your two weeks and feeling great!!!! As far as aa meetings go, i think you should give it a try a few times and then decide if you like them, and go from there! Hope your still feeling great!!!!!
saucy

Unread postby rfengineer60 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:47 am

I fought going to meetings after many attempts at sobriety and failing. Being in a group where everyone has common issues can help if YOU let it. it was the most difficult thing in my life to accept that I needed help. Once I went an entire year doing it alone only to succumb to the bottle when something bad in my life happened. The good news is that it works, but only if you want it to. It took me a while to find a home group that suited me so don't be discouraged if you have to "shop" around for one that you feel comfortable at. In my life I was always a problem solver, but I could not solve my addiction to alcohol alone. I have met caring people who extend their hand out if you are willing to accept it. Fighting alcohol, or any dependency is a day to day battle. Hang in there, give it a chance and you will start albeit very slowly a new life free of addiction. It is truly a one day at a time effort. I am around alcohol a lot in my life, however the program has given me the strength to resist being pulled back into drinking. be well and go slow, and most importantly do not beat yourself up if it takes more than one try. You are this far, go all the way.
rfengineer60

Unread postby TomF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:00 pm

I've been sober for just a few days longer than you and just attended my 28th AA meeting today. Where I live, there are 38 meetings within a 10-minute drive of my home every week. I also go to a professionally led outpatient rehab group session. I think I'm getting more from AA than from the group session. I also agree with rfengineer60. I've attended meetings at four different groups and found one that I really like. You may have to shop around a bit to find one that you really like. At the meeting that I most regularly attend, 35 to 40 people usually show up and they're all friendly and helpful. I beat a number of bad habits on my own during my life, including smoking, but the excessive drinking of alcohol is the only one I cannot beat on my own.

Don't believe everything you see on TV. Keep in mind that "reality" shows are often re-enactments and are often exaggerated to attract the audience. If the AA meetings that I attend were broadcast, no one would watch them.

Best wishes for your recovery.
TomF

Unread postby keithfudge5 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 pm

I have 5 weeks and 4 days doing it on my own. but I have nobody to talk to . I work 2ND shift
I cant find meetings in the mourning what do you do? I take antabuse so i'll get sick if i drink
but i cant stop the stinking thinking. Life is good without booze , my wife dont yell at me all the time---I
did not do treatment center --been there done that . They keep pushing god--god---god as a higher power
I dont go to church ,never did --all i ever see in people is ugly ----I dont know good people
how do you find good people , everybody wants to stab you in the back.
keithfudge5

Unread postby Green107 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm 45 days and counting
Green107

Unread postby Lyn T » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:11 am

I am actually ruining my life by drinking and need support to get off the booze and merry-go-round. Getting older in America is tough and this is no way to cope.

Any experiences that will assist would be good. Thanks.
Lyn T

Unread postby BlueWolf » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:42 am

I'm just over 2 months now and I found going to meetings and talking to others who had been in the same situation as me helped.
BlueWolf

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion