Question about meetings

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Question about meetings

Unread postby visitor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:48 pm

I come from a family of lifetime alcoholics and addicts. I lost my father to alcoholism and am going to school to work with addiction. I was interested in attending meetings, not to judge but to listen. I am not an alcoholic and was not sure if I would be welcomed at a meeting to listen. Eventually I will have to attend meetings for certification anyway, but that is not my interest in going. I want to listen to the experiences of others, whether it be alcoholics themselves, or family members. Would it be considered a rude intrusion if I came to a meeting? Thanks so much for responding.
visitor

Re: Question about meetings

Unread postby TomF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 pm

See the official statement from A.A. World Services, the guiding organization of A.A. worldwide, below:

The Difference Between Open and Closed A.A. Meetings:
The purpose of all A.A. group meetings, as the Preamble states, is for A.A. members to "share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism." Toward this end, A.A. groups have both open and closed meetings.
Closed meetings are for A.A. members only, or for those who have a drinking problem and "have a desire to stop drinking."
Open meetings are available to anyone interested in Alcoholics Anonymous’ program of recovery from alcoholism. Nonalcoholics may attend open meetings as observers.
Reprinted from The A.A. Group...Where It All Begins, p. 11, with permission of A.A. World Services, Inc.

Yes, you can attend "Open" AA meetings; just verify that any meeting you wish to attend is listed as "Open."
TomF

Unread postby humilty1st » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 pm

i'm looking for a meeting in Atlantic City new jersey. tuesday or wednesday day or night. any suggestions?
humilty1st

Unread postby ktankersley » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Hello I am new and I need to find meetings in the Millvale Pa area any help thank you !
ktankersley

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion