Brother

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Brother

Unread postby marisant » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm

My brother lives in another state than myself. He is having financial, alcohol and depression problems. We have been encouraging him to seek help, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions for us to help him?
marisant

Re: Brother

Unread postby bemindful » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:05 am

Are you asking because of his drinking? If so, he will not accept the help of others until he is ready to help himself. Take it from someone that had everything I needed. I needed to lose it all to get sober. It isn't easy and is isn't happy. But it works! And I am happy. I know this sounds crazy. But he has to hit the proverbial bottom (whatever that is for him) before he will be able to change. Adults don't change, typically, until they have to. And if he is an alcoholic he has a double whammy. If you really want to help him, help him after he hits bottom and begins to work on sobriety. In the meantime, get to an Al-Anon meeting!
bemindful

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism