Day #1

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Day #1

Unread postby DJacobs55 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Like everyone on here, didnt think I had a problem until my alcohol use came up and bit my ass off. I'm 32 and unfortunately, recently, received 2 DUI's in the span of 2 months. These are my first arrests of any kind (alcohol or not), and realized that I indeed have a problem with binge drinking. Due to my recent circumstances, my family has been urging me to quit all-together, and up until the last week or so, I've been fighting them on this as I rationalized that my DUI's were the result of bad luck. I mean anyone can get them, or so I told myself. Yesterday at Thanksgiving I finally realized that, on my own, I have an inability to control my drinking. I went to my GF's family's house with the full intention of having only a small amount of alcohol. Her family are pretty big drinkers. I indulged in everything from wine to beer to hard liquor, and feel absolutely terrible today. The hangover aside, I feel guilt and shame due to alcohol's depressing effects, and my inability to reduce my intake even once. Nothing bad or embarrassing happened, or so I believe, and it was actually a damn fun night. But I know that its time for me to put the plug in the jug once and for all. I do not drink everyday, or have an urge to drink everyday, but that makes my problem no less serious than someone who consumes everyday. My legal troubles have certainly given me perspective on everything positive I have in my life because I feel that I am so close to potentially losing it all because I couldnt stop drinking. Alcohol has simply become too important in my life, and things have started to suffer as a result. I have a successful career, great family, and great circle of friends, and need to act now before I'm a 40 yr old with no license, no job, and taking court required alcohol classes with 21 yr olds because booze was too important for me. I know this was kind of a rant, but writing about helps me realize it more fully. It's easy for me to say that I want to quit drinking right now when I feel like hell with the day-after depression and anxiety, but I'm worried about when I feel better after a workout and a few days of not drinking. I need to try to remember exactly how I feel right now, and not go back to my old ways once by body has snapped out of it's current alcohol induced funk. Everyone has their own story so please feel free to share your moment if you're like me and want to get it out there to start the process. I've never been to any type of addiction group or seen a professional, so this is very new to me. I feel a little better just hopping on here as I feel this is my first step in getting my life back on track. Now, have to have a talk with my GF, let her know my thoughts and enlist her help. Good luck to everyone else out there, and I wish nothing but the best of luck in your own personal battle. Happy Holidays!
DJacobs55

Re: Day #1

Unread postby BeautifulDisasters » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:43 am

Good for you! The first steps are the hardest, or so I hear. I am starting to take those steps today. I appreciated your posting. Thank you.
BeautifulDisasters

Unread postby Giff » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:05 am

Good for you I hope all is well. Today is my first day and knowing that every one has a first day will make mine that much better. Last night was the worst for me and as you said, as soon as my body gets right the journey will begin.
Keep it up.
Giff

Unread postby 556raymond » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

I have had a lot of bad day with drinking the last one I had was new years eve. I am about to lose everything in my life that is important to me I need a change in my life and need to stop drinking. I always tell my self that I will only have a few but it never ends up going that way. I don't drink every day or even every week. But when I do I can not stop until I can't walk or even remember anything. I usually end up treating my wife and kids like crap I am hurting the people that I love and hurting my self. I watched my dad do the same thing to me and my family and I always told myself that I would never do this to my family. I think that is what I am doing and need to stop do it. I need to put my family over my drinking I need a change in my life there for today is the day of change . I have said this before may times but today is the last day I will say it because I am all in for change. I no this will probably be the hardest thing I have ever done but it is time and god help me work though this.
556raymond

Return to New to Recovery?