How To Find a Sponsor?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

How To Find a Sponsor?

Unread postby Casey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Hello,
I am new to this forum and out of rehab for 2 weeks, and I am 48 days sober. I have been going to meetings everynight, but I do not have a sponsor.
I am not quite sure how to get one. I have been attending different meetings, do I just ask a random person? It seems strange.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Casey

Re: How To Find a Sponsor?

Unread postby booze 62 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:46 pm

By going to meetings and speaking with people before and after, you will begin to see who is sincere about staying sober. As we say stick with the winners. You simply need to ask an AA member to be your sponsor.
As you progress in sobriety, you will understand that in order to keep what you have you must become willing to share your strength, hope and experience. I have been doing this for a few days and have found this to be true.
booze 62

Unread postby Cavediver » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:22 am

It has been my experience that in most meetings, at the beginning, there is a time when those who are willing to be a temporary sponsor raise their hand to identify themselves. I recommend listening to what those people share about and picking someone who says something you can relate to. It can be as easy as simply walking up to that person after the meeting and saying "I could really relate to xyz" and engage them one on one a bit more before asking them to be your temporary sponsor.

My wish list for a permanent sponsor would include the following: someone with long active sobriety, attends meetings regularly, willing to meet once a week outside meetings, someone who has worked all the steps, has sponsored other people, is in service, has a sponsor themselves and is a good role model. For me, I initially found most of my sponsors suggestions painful, but I was desperate enough to do them and wow :)

Good luck and check back and let us know how you fared!
Cavediver

Unread postby MarinH » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

From what the Big Book tells us is that ppl with the solution simply explained in our basic text find ppl to take through the steps not newbies finding sponsers... it is clearly explained in the book. When you share explain you are looking to find the solution and if anyone has experience (working knowledge) of the big book and its clearly defined directions on HOW TO RECOVER meet with me after the meeting. If nothing happens go to other meetings... its all explained in our basic text Alcoholics Anonymous.
MarinH

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion