Need to stop.

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Need to stop.

Unread postby Dazedandconfused » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:46 am

Hello all. My names Kyle and I'm 25 years old. 2 weeks ago I started what would be a month long "cleanse" that I felt I should do to give my body a break from all the alcohol. I usually have a pretty good grip over addictions, and staying sober for the month will not be a problem. It wasn't until a couple days ago that it became difficult when I considered turning that month into forever. Now the thought of never having another drink makes me very anxious, but I would very much like to stay sober. Probably for the last 8 years I seldom go more than a week without getting drunk. I typically have at least a 30 pack of beer plus spirits and whatever I drink down at the bar every week.

Now, I am very active, and a very fit person. I can typically drink until 3 am then be up 5 hours later feeling great and ready for the day. This bad habit really doesn't make a huge negative impact on my life but I'm tired of spending the money, and I know I'm killing myself. I might be handling it fine now but what about down the road?

I have to kick this habit, it's already set in my mind that I couldn't drink for the month, but after that I'm going to need every bit of strength to stay away from it!!
Dazedandconfused

Re: Need to stop.

Unread postby k75rangerr-24 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Kyle,
The "one month at a time" is a real good start. I've been doing something similar for quite some time. I am now 27 days into my newest attempt and am NOT going to drink again. This is the first time in my 40 year drinking career that I have sworn OFF!. I am 62 and recently obtained a new lease on life and will not jeopardize it with drink again. This is a firm commitment and the only way I know to break the monthly cycle.
Please keep in touch and we'll compare notes.
Regards,
Bill
k75rangerr-24

Unread postby kunukie512 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:02 am

Kyle look into meetings and just take it one day at a time.
kunukie512

Unread postby Marcel888 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi, Kyle -- I am new here, and your post is the first one I read.

How is it going?
Marcel888

Unread postby Agavered » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 am

Good luck to you. Hope you the best to conquer it.
Agavered

Unread postby Jocelyn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:56 am

Kyle, how is it going? I have tried to do the Whole 30 several times and get so scared thinking about giving up alcohol for that long. Tonight I decided to look for help and saw your post. I found a meeting in my area tomorrow morning to try. It was helpful seeing someone struggling with the same fears who was making progress. Thanks.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:56 am.
Jocelyn

Return to New to Recovery?