Just figured out my daughter is an alcoholic

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Just figured out my daughter is an alcoholic

Unread postby Lathyjessie10 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 pm

I have been in denial for a long time but I am 100 percent positive my daughter is an alcoholic. I need to approach her on this subject and will see her tomorrow. What things should I say to her to help her get treatment??? I know she must be masking a lot of deep pain and alcoholism is a disease she has been denying for about 15 years. What should I say to her besides I love her and want to help her?
Lathyjessie10

Re: Just figured out my daughter is an alcoholic

Unread postby Lis0103 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Lathyjessie10,
I'm sorry that you are going through this right now. I am an alcoholic myself. I have been sober for 1 week today :D From what I have learned this first week going to meetings and talking with other alcoholics... you can say anything and everything to her, but the only person that can help her is herself. She has to be ready. She has to be able to admit to herself first that she has a problem. Once she does that and wants to get sober, she will come to you or she will seek help from someone else. My mom tried to talk to me for years, but I never wanted to hear it. I would get annoyed with her, but deep down I knew she was right. The thing is...I wasn't mentally or physically ready. I truly hope that she will come to her senses sooner rather than later. I am here to talk if you need me!! Good luck to you and your daughter.
Lis0103
Lis0103

Re: Just figured out my daughter is an alcoholic

Unread postby skinnyshinny95 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:02 pm

find an alanon meeting and go....tonight. they usually start either 7 or 8 pm. seriously, its very helpful
skinnyshinny95

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism