Starting my one month sober journey tonight

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Starting my one month sober journey tonight

Unread postby needtotry » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 pm

I've had it with this. I am officially calling my drinking and substance abuse out of control. Last night I took in a large amount of pot along with chugging a bunch of beers. This is the fourth straight night that I allowed myself to get drunk/high and needless to say I feel like crap. Slowly I see myself sinking a little bit lower. I broke my hand in November when I drunkenly punched a wall. THAT should have been my wake up call. Instead I got a prescription for Percocet and began enjoying the effects of opiates combined with alcohol. Luckily my supply is limited and it isn't a consistent thing. I do occasionally get Vicodin from a friend. This needs to be typed and posted somewhere so I can see the track I am headed on if I don't stop now. I went from being a weekend binge drinker to drinking, smoking, and taking pills whenever I have a night off. Pathetic. This is affecting all aspects of my life. I just wasted 3 beautiful days feeling like a wreck. My house is atrocious, body is on the decline and career is at a halt. My life has become a roundabout of work, stress, and alcohol/drugs.

I'm going to try to abstain from all of it until June 1st. I'd like to say permanently but I need to start with a date. I'm going to combat my urges to drink and anxiety with exercise and focusing on self-improvement. I am begging my future self to stick with this. Please, all I ask is for 37 days of sobriety. This pathetic life I'm currently living has to stop. Now is the time.
needtotry

Re: Starting my one month sober journey tonight

Unread postby Natash1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Hey,I felt like I was looking in the mirror when I read your post. I am at the same point, and have to do something. I too just liked to binge drink with friends,
have a great time, etc. Then gradually I found myself thinking about "do I have wine for tonight?", etc, daily. I am living to numb myself, from what, I don't know. I am having a glass of wine right now. But it's not me, I stopped cooking, cleaning, my apartment is a wreck. I want the old me back. I stopped caring, and that's not good. I hope you have a good friend or two to support you. I am fortunate to have that. I plan on attending an AA meeting tomorrow night. Never been, never would I admit to having a problem. Trying to save my job. Let me know how you make out ok? Best of luck!
Natash1

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:07 am

Thanks for your words. It has been getting harder every day to stay on track. The day I made the decision to be sober it was easy because I felt like crap from 3 days of binging. But now I'm feeling good, and I just want to go out and get some drinks to celebrate this good feeling. I need to remember that it is a trap! If I go and drink right now it will only be a detriment to my life. Gotta stay on track. It hasn't even been a week yet but I feel pretty good about myself for not drinking last weekend. I have a 3 day weekend coming up which will be my biggest challenge so far.

Unread postby Chickey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Good Luck! I hope your weekend went well!
Chickey

Return to New to Recovery?