scared to death

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

scared to death

Unread postby wendeee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:02 pm

I am one day sober and I am scared to death. It seems like a cycle, I stop drinking for a short period of time and then my twisted mind says...your not really an alcoholic you can control your drinking. I tell myself I just wont drink hard liquor this time and just stick to wine. We all know it never works out like that. I am ruining my life and I know it. When I would quit drinking life just seemed so boring. I dont work at the time and have no hobbies and never have. So back to drinking and you think life isnt boring anymore but then all the problems start again and its always worst and worst every single time. I am going to go back to AA and look into churches with programs for recovery. I want this so bad. I know once I am sober a month or so I cannot let boring tell me to go back to drinking. I am determined to do this for myself and my family. My marriage might be over and I have kids that wont talk to me but I know with God's help I will get thru this and be better off then before. Nothing is worst then living this way. I have not had any friends in forver and I hope thru AA I can find some. We all can do this!!
wendeee

Re: scared to death

Unread postby christy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I am right there with you. I do the same thing. Its like a sick little game in my head and i think i can control it until i realize i'm not in control. I want control of my life again. Today is the first say of the rest of my life.
christy

Unread postby Ellie123 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:44 am

Hey scared to death - WELL DONE for being here and posting as you have. Just one day at a time. Or one hour at a time even.
Distract yourself by finding places where there is no temptation.
A walk in the woods if you have them near you.
Swimming at the local pool.
Join a walking group (fresh air, company, healthier, takes up hours!)
Get your body active and your mind will follow a little more willingly.

Forward planning is a great bit of ammo in this fight.
ALWAYS make sure you have a plan once that activity is over.
ALWAYS know where you are going to go next - otherwise it'll likely be to the shop/bar for a 'rewarding' drink.

It's tough - I've fallen on / off but always dust myself down and start again. Be kind to yourself in this process. And ask others to do the same. You are not alone with this.
Ellie123

Unread postby alonzo@196 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:21 pm

wendeee wrote:
> I am one day sober and I am scared to death. It seems like a cycle, I stop
> drinking for a short period of time and then my twisted mind says...your
> not really an alcoholic you can control your drinking. I tell myself I
> just wont drink hard liquor this time and just stick to wine. We all know
> it never works out like that. I am ruining my life and I know it. When I
> would quit drinking life just seemed so boring. I dont work at the time
> and have no hobbies and never have. So back to drinking and you think life
> isnt boring anymore but then all the problems start again and its always
> worst and worst every single time. I am going to go back to AA and look
> into churches with programs for recovery. I want this so bad. I know once
> I am sober a month or so I cannot let boring tell me to go back to
> drinking. I am determined to do this for myself and my family. My
> marriage might be over and I have kids that wont talk to me but I know with
> God's help I will get thru this and be better off then before. Nothing is
> worst then living this way. I have not had any friends in forver and I
> hope thru AA I can find some. We all can do this!! Yes we all can do this only together we can so this :D
alonzo@196

Unread postby causeandeffect » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Your taking the scary out of the equation once the mind can generate a path of safety, not only for ones self but for all those that care. Remove the canned euphoria, remove the fright of induced failure once and for all. Help the fellow near and far, show him the way and rejoice with me. ones too many and one is all it takes to put a world in harms way, why you say... or am i talking to the other side. who really cares more, as there are 2 always negotiating,... yes or no, yes or no.. its easy to say yes, its an easy way out. sound familiar.. take the right path, not only for yourself but for all those that care. take care. scott
causeandeffect

Unread postby Changes04 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Well you should rely on drinking to fill the bordem. We have a huge world around us that you can consistently be learning more and experiencing so much. I've had a drinking problem since I was 15 and now being 22 with a DUI it just doesn't seem worth it anymore. I always needed something whether it be drinking or drugs to help me not be bored but now being 6 months sober it feels great and some people just need to hit rock bottom before finally wanting to move forward and I hope you don't have it. It just sucks that its legal and its everywhere but that's when you need to find other things to fill your time with whether it be reading, watching movies, spending quality time with family and friends ( that are sober) . we all have something that we enjoy that maybe this is the time to pull yourself back and ask yourself what you want out of life or what do you want to do with your life? You've got to know of something that you enjoy that can keep you busy. I pray you find joy from within to know that their is more to life. God bless. I'm here if you need to talk (:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:36 pm.
Changes04

Return to New to Recovery?