How long do you go?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

How long do you go?

Unread postby jdavis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 am

I know that I can drink too much at times and have been called on it. Then I'll go without for weeks at a time and not miss it. Then out of the blue, a beer sounds good and I'll have a few. Then another dry spell. Then out of the blue once again, I'll have a few, and a couple more and one too many. Then I get mad at myself and dry out again. How long do others go? Am I an alcoholic? Am I a drunk? I don't really know. I have alcohol in the house and don't want it. All I know is I really like me a lot better sober and so does my family so I try not to drink around them. I am just reaching out there to find out an answer to an un-answerable question. I read this site daily for strength and possibly extending hope and faith to others out there who need someone to talk to via this forum. Thank you!
jdavis

Re: How long do you go?

Unread postby cristinakj70 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:49 pm

Good question. I don't like those blurry lines between "alcoholism" and "social drinking."

I apologize I have no answer for you but your self-awareness seems to be strong enough to lead you to your own answer(s).

When in doubt, I always advise my clients to "consult their deathbed."

In other words, when faced with a difficult choice/decision, what will you look back on it from your deathbed and wish you'd done/be glad you did?
cristinakj70

Unread postby emack » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:15 am

no one is an expert.we all have to make our own decision when it comes to drinking.this much I can say,if your family is telling you they don't like it when you drink then its time to look at the big picture.
emack

Unread postby Tired of conflict » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:35 pm

I struggle with this, too. Unfortunately, my family does not seem to mind my drinking. In fact my husband brought home a bottle of wine for me last night - just when I was thinking I should just shut off the spigot. Funny thing is, he is not a heavy drinker - able to drink socially with grace and common sense. I have spoken to him many time about my own fears, and he even supported me through a two year stretch of sobriety in AA. He always says he will be there whatever I decide I need to do, but he seems so relieved when I start thinking I can try to be a normal social drinker again. I think it is just hard for him to accept that there is anything wrong with me. Well, I did not crack open the bottle . . . Yet. I notice it is worse whenever I drink around my siblings (long history of alcoholism, dysfunction, and abuse). I just don't know what to do. I don't feel right about myself lately.
Tired of conflict

Unread postby emack » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:45 pm

go to a meeting or what ever or were ever it helps you to be you.if you like yourself more staying sober and your kids are unhappy with drinking,I think you know what is best.
emack

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion