Addiction to Pain Pills

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Addiction to Pain Pills

Unread postby Desperate Wife » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 am

Hello - I don't know if this forum is just for users or me :( I don't know where to turn for help/answers. My husband is addicted to pain medication. He was injured in a work accident 4 years ago and can not go a day without pain. Pain pills were how he got through the day. We were told of the risk of addiction, but even the Doctor thought he was handling it fine. The problem was/is he finishes a 2 week prescription within 7 days...then we go through a withdrawal for the next 7 days until his refill is authorized. I have tried to hid the medication and give it to him only as directed but he finds it and takes it. He swore that he would never touch any of my pain medicine if I had any because he did it once before and when I was in excruciating pain I went to get my pain medicine and it was gone. I was so mad, upset and left in dire pain all night from a condition I had an upcoming surgery planned. I can't tell you how many times he has cried to me giving me a bottle of my pain pills he has found saying he took 1 then 2 because he thought I wouldn't notice until the bottle was almost gone and he had to tell me. I love him so much and I am so committed to help him. I stood by him and faced the withdrawal with him and we got through it and I thought he was doing great. I had my surgery 2 months ago, and as I have hidden my pain medicine because I don't like to ever use it unless I absolutely am in a lot of pain, he just told me this morning that I need to hide them again...he found then and has been helping himself to my prescription and has left me 6 pain pills and has taken 30 of them in the last 4 or 5 days. I don't know what to do. Unfortunately we can't consider any inpatient program because it will be a loss of income with his job and we are not in a position to have him out of work. I have looked up NA meetings and being new to this it is very confusing to me. Some are open to the public and some say newcomer and others say step something or other. I don't understand any of this but I think I want him to at least attend a meeting to look for help. I will not walk away from him or our marriage but it is killing me. Please help
Desperate Wife

Re: Addiction to Pain Pills

Unread postby emack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:07 am

there are outpatient programs that will help but as you know it is your husband that has to make the choice.you can lead a horse to water but.....
emack

Unread postby Changes04 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:24 am

Make lifestyle changes.
"It's not willpower, it's programming," Dr. Phil says. You have to set your life up for success if you're going to break your addiction. If you're trying to stop smoking or drinking, try simple things like not carrying money for cigarette vending machines or cleaning your cupboards of alcoholic beverages. You may have to change the places you frequent, what you do for fun and whom you hang out with. If you are a computer junkie, remove the computer from your house. The best way to stop an addiction is to not have access to it.

Be accountable and have a support system.
Being accountable to someone means that that person will not only support you, but will give you the kick in the rear that you need when it gets tough and tell you the truth when you're kidding yourself. Get your family and friends involved in your efforts to kick the habit. If you're a smoker, print out these cards from Dr. Phil that warn your friends to refrain from indulging you. You need to find a community that supports you during this time and embraces your decision to be healthier. You may also need to seek treatment or check into a rehabilitative program.

Reward yourself.
Overcoming an addiction can be very difficult, but it can be done. When you see yourself making progress, even baby steps, you have to motivate yourself to keep going. Give yourself credit. Reward yourself for every step you make, starting with admitting that you have a problem and asking for help.
Changes04

Unread postby beckyc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 pm

I hear your struggle. Nar-Anon is a good place to seek answers. Peace

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 pm.
beckyc

Return to New to Recovery?