relapse after 14 months

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

relapse after 14 months

Unread postby shelly13 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:47 am

I just relapsed after 14 months of sobriety and I am having a hard time with telling my family. I just spoke with my sponsor and was honest but so scared. I can't even believe I would put myself through this shame. I really hate this disease. I guess I just have to be honest and treat it like a disease instead of being a bad girl. The self punishment is awful.
shelly13

Re: relapse after 14 months

Unread postby emack » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:00 am

just keep going and try to stay sober.this is a part of our disease,it is always there and always will be there.you fell off your horse now get back on and ride.be honest with your family and tell them how you feel.
emack

Unread postby Justjess » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:23 am

Shelly,
We always say in meeting that it's progess not perfection. Don't go jumping on the cross just yet the humbling part of this disease is that it never sleeps. We have a a two fold disease the affects our minds and body. As alcoholics we must first admit that we can never take another drink! PERIOD. We are allergic to alcohol, we don't drink like those normal folks. The first drink sets off a craving for more and with each drink we only desire more and more. The normal people just don't, they get to the point where their bodies actually start to reject the alchol but not us. We are just warming up. Do you get the picture? Don't pick up the first and we are saved from the humility of our crashes. My prayers are with you. Talk to your sponsor and have a plan but admit to yourself the truth you know deep inside. Peace
Justjess
Justjess

Unread postby Ferariz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi I know how you fell but be honest with your self , anybody can relapse I relapse after 18 and half years because I stop doing my AA meetings and work with others and stop speaking with my sponsor. My family don't sopport me but I willing to do whatever is in my hands to stay sober am doing for me not for them , if your family love you they will understand you are human being and make mistakes , so everbody deserve an opportunity remember just one day at the time god bless you
Ferariz

Unread postby 3gd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:03 pm

I totally understand.It may sound trite but just remember that despite what some rather ignorant people think this is indeed a real disease that is extremely difficult to fight. For me right now it is literally an everyday battle .You did not choose the disease, it chose you. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.Don't beat yourself up! remember also all the good things that you do and have done for a long time. Slips happen but they DO NOT erase every day that you have not had a drink.Please take care of yourself and remember that you have lots of good and caring company. lmg
3gd

Unread postby Tonya J1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 am

You can do it....true honesty when working your program of sobriety is key. Everyone in the rooms understands, alcohol is 'cunning, baffling, powerful. Without help it is too much for us.' Use the love and support of the rooms to stay strong and stay honest in your sobriety. Your chances of relapse will diminish as long as you stay vigilant in your recovery. The 'easier, softer way' isn't for us. I know sobriety requires work. I know you and I and everyone here works hard. Some days we need to work harder. I know you can do it. I can too. Stay strong.
Tonya J1

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion