finally realize i need help but not sure where to start

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

finally realize i need help but not sure where to start

Unread postby Glo84 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:58 pm

For a long time I never realized I needed help. Then I finally told someone I had a problem. Unfortunately the person I told didn't believe me or maybe just thought if I want to stop I could it was all up to me. After I admitted my problem and didn't get the support I was looking for I caught my first DUI. I'm grateful that no one was hurt from my actions. Since it was my first offense I got off easy but I'm disappointed in myself. I don't drink and drive anymore because I don't want to go to jail but I'm still drinking. I want to find happiness without alcohol. I'm just not sure where to start. I don't want to disappoint my family again. I truly want to get better but I'm to ashamed to admit to them how bad my problem is. It's not because my family won't help me, I just don't want them to worry over me. I know I need support to get better but I just don't want to involve them until I'm on the journey to getting better. I'm not sure where to start. If the first step is admitting I have a problem I'm there. I guess I need to know how to get better. I live in Norristown pa and my family is in nyc. I don't want to move back I want to make it on my own. I know all the reasons why I drink but I can't seem to stop. Any suggestions is appreciated. Sincerely a lost person.
Glo84

Re: finally realize i need help but not sure where to start

Unread postby guest » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Wow, Thanks for sharing!. I would suggest looking for AA meetings in your area. It's pretty easy to find one here just putting in your zip code. Good Luck and stay focused on your desired goal!

Unread postby McKibz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02 pm

I still need help but don't know what to do. Went to rehab. Came out and nothing seems t work. Guess I was protected in rehab and despite going to meetings and having a sponsor, I want to just be left alone, isolate and drink - which is what I have done. Please Help! Just struggling and falling deeper. Don't know what to do.
McKibz

Unread postby emack » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:09 pm

I have felt that way and I too was also falling deeper and deeper into the black hole of alcoholism.then one day it hit me,i wanted a better life and sitting there alone and drunk was not going to get me there.i started going to meetings,talking
with family members and listening to what all had to say.it was very tough to sit and listen to what others thought of me and the bad ways I was living.it is very hard to admit you have a problem but once you admit it to yourself and believe it
you can start to work on it.i thank God everyday for were I am now and without him I don't think I would have made it.for those looking to find sobriety please listen to me.the life you are living now is evil I know because I have been there and lived there for a long time.this new life I have is wonderful,my relationship with my family and friends is wonderful,my job is wonderful and the whole thing is just wonderful compared to where I was when I was drinking.just give yourself a real chance,an honest chance to find sobriety and if you are sincere and work hard you will find it and find that all I have said is true.God Bless
emack

Unread postby Tracynicole » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:45 am

I'm with you ! I'm in a similar situation. Last time I went to an aa meeting there was no one there
Tracynicole

Unread postby Gerry C » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 pm

McKibz wrote:
> I still need help but don't know what to do. Went to rehab. Came out and
> nothing seems t work. Guess I was protected in rehab and despite going to
> meetings and having a sponsor, I want to just be left alone, isolate and
> drink - which is what I have done. Please Help! Just struggling and
> falling deeper. Don't know what to do.
When digging ourselves a hole, when we want to stop --- The first thing we do is PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL
Gerry C

Unread postby bobby g » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 am

I wake up every morning promising myself and my wife I wont drink, and everyday when the liquaer store opens at 9 Im there getting my first bottle. I was sober for 5 years till about 10 months ago. I just cant break this cycle.
bobby g

Unread postby Violet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:25 pm

I agree find out when and where the aa meetings are. Then . just go.
I did.. I walked in all alone and it was the best thing I ever did!

Im praying for you !
Violet
Violet

Unread postby Hopelane » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:10 pm

I was sober for 12 years and drank. I am now coming up on a year after a DUI and thousands in fines, insurance, etc. I meet a wonderful counselor(Life Coach Counseling on FB) I started to see that because of PTSD, I wasn't aware of a trigger buried deep down. I thought after 12 years I had it down pat. I am grateful I didn't hurt anyone but even after a year it still haunts me financially and work wise. If you fall don't stay down. Talk to someone, go to meetings until you find where your comfortable and stay close to God. Start now by getting on your knees and thanking God for giving you a second chance.
Hopelane

Unread postby Suzette3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm with you "finally realize"! I have not gone to rehab but my drinking is causing terrible things to happen.
Today my husband and I were talking. He has been mad at me since I drank too much last Saturday in front of dear friends (again). I promised that I won't drink at all, & especially won't drink and ruin another family occasion. Minutes later he was screaming and cursing at some poor service rep when she called about changing our electric service. Then he broke down, sobbing into his hands.

I am devastated that I have caused him this pain. I am looking for an AA meeting that has more than a few people. Reviews I read say that many are not well attended.
I live near Douglassville PA (between Pottstown and Reading) but don't mind driving a ways.

My dad was an alcoholic. He went to rehab at age 70 and never drank again until he passed away at age 92. He had always been a heavy drinker and really surprised me when he overcame it. I was not always a heavy drinker, but it has been getting worse over past 10 to 12 years. I feel really sad and alone.
Suzette3

Unread postby emack » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 am

well you know all this and you won't find help??? so what if there are only a few at the AA meeting,those few can help.your husband crying in his hands,because you did this once or twice?????these are signs that things are not good so do something now before it gets worse.almost all can be fixed if you are willing and working hard towards fixing yourself.
emack

Unread postby Daredeviichik » Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Hey there to all, I'm new to this online sobriety group. I have read some of the things posted and I couldn't help but hold back tears as I read what some of you had to say. I completely agree with the words those of you have shared. I am a single mother of one child, 6 years old, and I feel my drinking and smoking cigarettes gave rendered me a terrible mother to my son. He is a very active child and I'd love to do more with him before his childhood disappears, however I'm struggling to let go of past habits, and they seem to be getting worse. All I want is to enjoy my son while he is still a child and I want to live life as freely as he does, without addiction, and hope I can my habits before he does as I did/do. I know genetics play a big role in addiction, but if I can stop now, or soon, then my son has a better chance at straying away from this ugly scene
Daredeviichik

Unread postby DrSheilaHereNow » Sat May 27, 2017 11:07 am

Hi: I am in Wayne, pa. I am in Al Anon. In looking for meetings, I have
Noticed that AA is well represented.
You do not have to have stopped drinking to go to AA.
All you need is the desire to stop drinking.
Go to Aa. Listen. You do not have to say
Anything at all. Look around. Who sounds as if
She has some solid sobriety.

Attend the same group a few more times.
Decide if the group is healthy! Not a "drunk a Logue"
That is
People getting off on recounting alcoholic behavior.

At that point, re evaluate if this is a group for you,
If you should stop drinking, and if you would
Find a sponsor.

If you decide to stop, you will want to go to 90 meetings
In 90 days. That means every day.

Give it a try. No one is going to
Force anything on you!!!!!

Sheilan
DrSheilaHereNow

Unread postby PineappleParadise » Tue May 30, 2017 8:19 am

I'm exactly where Glo84 is/was. It happened this past Saturday, yes a DUI. I don't drink everyday or every week. But, when I'm upset or trying to forget things that happened in my life years ago, I go overboard with the drinking and mixing. It may not sound like I have a problem, but I do. I've decided to make a stand and stop drinking like I stopped smoking. Only thing is, I know I need support. My friends and family are unaware, but my kids know and have seen me in all its unpleasantness. Keep me in your prayers. On a good note, I found an AA meeting close to home and will drop by tonight.

To all those needing support; stay strong, keep your head up, and reach your goals. You can do it.
PineappleParadise

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion