my father..

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

my father..

Unread postby Guest » Mon May 28, 2007 9:42 pm

I'm 16 years old. And quite confused about my current situation. As long as i can remember my father has been a drinker. However, it has only been as i got older I began to realize how much of a drinker he is. I'm not really sure if I have the right to call my dad an alcoholic though. He isn't abusive...just seems to try and make him self invisable to everyone. He has been somewhat depressed about his job lately, which i guess is a good excuse to drink? He will go to work, drink in the car on the way home..stop in for a minute with an already buzz so you can barely talk to him..then go to the bar for yet another drink..or to "talk to his buddies" as he will say. So am i being dramatic? Because I feel like I am old enough to know that my dad is an alcoholic, because I'm old enough to realize much it bothers me.
Please respond.
I could use some help.[/quote]

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 29, 2007 4:44 am

Hey Guest,

Yes, it's tough when you realize that one of your loved ones is an alcoholic. I remember feeling ashamed.

Do you have people you can talk to? Your mother and your siblings? How do they feel about it? I think sharing your feelings is important. Don't let the confusion, frustration, and anger pile up too high in your heart because it's more difficult to get rid of them when the time comes. Alateen is also a great support system. There you'll meet people your age who go through the same thing. You can vent, and they will listen. And most importantly they'll understand.

Come back and share on this board if you feel like it.

my father..

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 29, 2007 8:01 am

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. It is pretty hard when you come to realize a loved one is an alcoholic. I mean really i guess I knew it all along but brushed it off because he wasn't abusive or anything like that. But to me, him turning to drinking instead of wanting to interact with me or my family and just being miserable all the time hurts just as much. The rest of my family thinks it is best to just ignore it. Maybe they're right..but that can be pretty tough.

I've been looking into Alateen actually but there aren't many meetings for those near my area. I think it might be of some help to me though.There are a lot of regular Alanon meetings in my area. Am i too young to attend one of those?

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 29, 2007 8:34 am

Yes, it hurts, but you know what, your father is also in a lot of pain to turn to drinking. Addicted people are sick and need to receive proper treatment when they are ready.

I don't think it is best to just ignore the problem because it's not gonna go away. And actually it may get worse as time goes by. But again it is so painful that at first it's easier to think that everything is okay...

If there are no Alateen meetings in your area, go to Alanon meetings. You will meet incredible people ready to help. You are not alone, Guest. We understand how you feel.

Come back if you wish.

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 29, 2007 2:00 pm

thanks again. I will post back and let you know how the alanon meeting went.

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism