Am I an enabler?

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Am I an enabler?

Unread postby Boomer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 am

I am brand new here and brand new at accepting my boyfriends addiction. I love him more than anything on this planet and I refuse to give up on him. He knows he has an addiction. At first I was nagging, asking everyday if he was ok, is he going to make it through the day. I have stopped doing that because 1. I am nagging, and 2. he is going to lie to me anyway most likely. He doesn't want to "talk about it", he is "dealing with it". What do I do? Do I just sit back and wait till he is ready? Will he be ready? I know only he can decide when he is ready but what do I do in the meantime? By not saying anything am I enabling? Am I ignoring the problem? Does it look like I don't care? I just want to do the right thing. I want to be there for him, support him, and love him.
Boomer

Re: Am I an enabler?

Unread postby jr26076 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:18 pm

I am dealing with many of the same issues with my fiance. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts as well as attending an alanon meeting in my area.
jr26076

Re: Am I an enabler?

Unread postby Eviljack13 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:08 am

Stand with him, dont push him, just stand with him. He knows.
He sees your aggression. Believe it or not; he is hurting as much as you.
Show him some trust. Believe it or not, it goes a long way.
Eviljack13

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism