Reaching out is overrated

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Reaching out is overrated

Unread postby Recovering » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:58 pm

Before people have been telling me to reach out, reach out to other people. Communicate with other people, make friends. Well f that. I'm tired of reaching out only to get rejected. I don't even want to reach out, but because I was told to, I did. To be honest I feel better about myself now that I'm not trying to have other people like me. I am now being myself and doing what I have to do. If other people like me good and if they don't... well too bad.

This is not reaching out, this is venting.
Recovering

Unread postby Serenity » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:00 pm

Recovering, I think you are generalizing a little bit. It sounds like you are not meeting the right people. I agree that you should not change who you so that other people like you, but that doesn't mean you should just shun everybody.

In my life I have met some very interesting people who have taught me a great deal. It would have been very sad if I missed meeting them because I previously met a few people who I didn't get along with. Give it time and be yourself!!! [:)]
Serenity

Unread postby Sunshine » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:16 am

I believe that reaching out is not about getting people to like you it is about giving someone a hand when they are in need. It is not about what you will get back eventhough that is sometimes a byproduct. When you reach out to others you stop the self focus which at times gets consuming and to no benefit to yourself! Be yourself---and give what you feel you can![:)]
Sunshine

Unread postby Recovering » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:46 pm

believe what you want...
Recovering

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Seems like you should be discussing this with your sponsor.

Reaching out

Unread postby that guy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:48 pm

:roll: No offense intended, but seriously, why would tell some guy who is having difficulty reaching out that he should be "talking to his sponsor"? Isn't that an oxymoron? And on a posting board? We're posting, not talking on the phone. And I can sympathize with what he/she says. I've had desperate moments in sobriety when I've approached people and then regretted midway in the midst of the Standard Sober Lecture that I ever did in the first place.
that guy

Unread postby Regular DAD » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:02 am

Reaching out is hard. Cliques do form at AA meetings and it can be difficult to get a feeling of belonging.

Reaching out was hard for me even before coming to AA. I think it is part of my make up that I need to work on.

I find making friends in AA takes time but is totally worth it. There are also people in AA who I don't want to be friends with and that is healthy.

Stick with the winners!
Regular DAD

Unread postby iowena » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:32 pm

I had a hard time with that and still do at times. I was told that I could reach out to the newcomer with 1 less day than me and it would help me more than I could imagine. Well, I tried it, and it really helped me when I helped another. You do not have to start reaching out to those who have more time than you do clean and sober. Just a thought.
iowena

Unread postby fdphilly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:29 pm

I been there to. where you finally reach out and no ones listens.

A.A. is not like it was years ago. it's sad. what does an alkie do now who wants to get sober.

and what's up with the sponer thing ???

I don't want another alkie like myself making life decissions for me.

that's nuts. they could not control there own life and they want to control aothers lives
fdphilly

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion