Temporary Sponsorship in AA

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Temporary Sponsorship in AA

Unread postby phillyguy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:40 pm

Can anyone tell me how the temporary sponsorship program works in AA. I need a temporary sponsor and I don't know who to ask???
phillyguy

Unread postby Serenity » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi phillyguy,

Basically temporary sponsorship is just what it says. It's temporary (no hard feelings on either side if it doesn't work out - the sponsor has been there before and should understand) and the person you ask should have some experience in sobriety and be able to guide you through the first couple of months of sobriety.

You need to reach out to someone at an AA meeting that you have heard talk (share) and that you think can help you. Usually the person should have at least one year sober and be of the opposite sex than you. They usually ask if anyone is interested in being a temporary sponsor at the beginning of each meeting. So pay attention and look around.

I hope this helps!

Serenity [:)]
Serenity

Unread postby phillyguy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:36 pm

thanks Serenity, I'll try it at the next meeting and let you know how it goes.
phillyguy

Unread postby phillyguy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:38 pm

ok I went to a meeting last night determined to ask someone to be my temporary sponsor, the guy I asked seem nice enough and actually spoke with me for several minutes after the meeting. He told me more about sponsorship and how it works. Unfortunately he said he has several sponsee's and doesn't have enough time to have more. He did give me some names and numbers of other members he thought would be able to help me. So I will try agian and let you know.
phillyguy

Unread postby Serenity » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:35 pm

phillyguy, how's it going?? The key to recovery is to keep trying no matter what. I would recommend trying different meetings. If you're going to the same place and not meeting anyone who you would like to be friends with then it's time to try another place.

keep trying [:)]
Serenity

Unread postby phillyguy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:07 am

Thanks Serenity, I agree that I need to go to different meetings. It's just difficult when you get into a routine of going to the same meeting every day. But I will try!
phillyguy

Unread postby moxieblonde » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by phillyguy</i>
<br />Can anyone tell me how the temporary sponsorship program works in AA. I need a temporary sponsor and I don't know who to ask???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><s></s><i></i>

How is the sponsorship thing going? I have a male friend that has 15 years sober and is always reaching out to others and is really good at helping. He got my butt in the right place after a few years of watching me tumble.
Let me know!
Karen[:I]
moxieblonde

Unread postby phillyguy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:10 pm

I still don't have an "official" sponsor. The good news is I do have several people that gave me their phone numbers and told me to call them whenever I need to.

I guess eventually I will build up a relationship with somebody.
phillyguy

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion