What should I expect at an AA meeting?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

What should I expect at an AA meeting?

Unread postby zoop » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:44 pm

I am interested in attending a meeting to see what it is all about. Are all meetings the same or are their different kinds. Are they crowded or just a few people, do they all cost donations or are some free or not free? Can anyone give me a quick walk through of what to expect? Also are people cool with new faces just randomly showing up? Thanks in advance. I am wanting to go but a little nervous on what I would be getting into.
zoop

Re: What should I expect at an AA meeting?

Unread postby Guest » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:45 am

hey zoop,
the ones i go to are packed every evening. some of them during the day are not as crowded. those meetings are free, but donations are accepted. people are always cool with new faces. we all go for the same reason. new faces, old faces, we all try to get better, same goal, same setbacks, same emotions. try several meetings to find the one you like best. leave if you don't like it. don't talk if you don't feel like it. But try... it's worth it.

Unread postby NotGoodWithNames » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:00 pm

I am new to AA also. Just go. Do not feel awkward. If you are thinking of going, you need to.

When asked if anyone is new to AA or to the meeting, just raise your hand and say your first name. No other explanation is needed.

People at meetings are great. No pressure or weird questions. Just go. After the meeting ask your questions. (Bring your own drink - they only have the coffee thing going on.)

I have found 12 Step meetings, Big Book reading meetings and just talking meetings. Different subjucts are always covered. Ask about a local club house. They are great. They have meetings all day. They have books. They are not in church basements.
NotGoodWithNames

Unread postby Guest » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Just go go, go , go. No one will judge you. As someonr who attends thier first meeting, you are the most important person in the room.

Unread postby Yosemite » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:12 pm

zoop wrote:I am interested in attending a meeting to see what it is all about. Are all meetings the same or are their different kinds. Are they crowded or just a few people, do they all cost donations or are some free or not free? Can anyone give me a quick walk through of what to expect? Also are people cool with new faces just randomly showing up? Thanks in advance. I am wanting to go but a little nervous on what I would be getting into.

Meetings are different, some small, some large. No contribution/donation is required, what goes in the 'can' (one place I go it's actually a watermelon knit-basket) pays for coffee, rent and literature...

No problem when new faces show up, people are welcoming and informative.

No one expects last names, and if it makes you feel better, use a pseudonym ;') One woman I know used her sister's name when she first came in, because although she wasn't sure she was an alcoholic, she was SURE her sister was!

A suggestion: If you're feeling uncomfortable, try closing your eyes when listening to someone; Listen to the words without any visual stimuli. I found that to help with some of my anxieties...

Someone told me once that if I ever felt uncomfortable at a meeting, I should think of it like a Buffet and not to serve myself things that upset my stomach.
Yosemite

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion