Meetings for a younger person

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Meetings for a younger person

Unread postby sojourner » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:28 pm

I've been to two meetings in the central Bucks area, and it seems like everyone there was much older than I (about 30 years old). The times I went I felt unaccepted into the group, and I left the meeting feeling angry, isolated, and very disappointed. After many attempts to get sober and many failures, I really want to make this work, but I need to find a group in which I can be comfortable.

Are there any meetings in central Bucks where I will feel more welcome? Also, how do I link up with a sponsor?
sojourner

Re: Meetings for a younger person

Unread postby John » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:54 pm

Hello sojourner,

There are several meetings for teens (I am assuming you are a teen). You can find them by searching http://sobrietyonline.org/meetings/alat ... s-town.php. I would recommend going to those first, talking to other people, counselors etc.

I agree, it is hard to find what you are looking for, but sometimes you just have to do it. And if it's not there, create it. That is not just a glib response. We have found that sometimes what we are looking for does not exist, so why not create it? We will be glad to assist you in any way possible.

John

Guest wrote:Hi Phillygirl,

Meetings are open to anyone that needs help. You just need to find one and then go there. There is no fee. AA is self supporting so they usually pass just around a hat at some point for donations which is usually a $1.00 or whatever you can donate.

As far as meeting other people you may want to go a little bit early, like 10 minutes before the meeting. Usually there are other people standing around talking. Go up to them, introduce yourself (first name only). Tell them a little bit about yourself and ask them about the meeting. They have all been in your situation before (first meeting) and will be glad to help.

There are special meetings for people just starting out, but it is not required that you go to them only.

Communication is important. At some point they will ask if anybody wants to share what's on their mind. Typically you are given several minutes, depending on the number of people and length of the meeting. If you are first starting you might want to hang back and just observe for a meeting or two to get the hang of it. I wouldn't tell them my life story the first meeting, maybe just what is really bugging me that day. There is no discussion at the meeting. You get to have your say for several minutes without interruption. If you do want feedback, I recommend staying after the meeting and again going up to people and just join in their conversation. Again, they have all been in your situation before (first meeting) and will be glad to help.

Sponsors: At the meetings I go to, they usually ask if there is anybody new that night (raise your hand) and then they ask if there is anybody with over a year of being sober that would like to sponsor someone (they raise their hands). Take a look around and try to remember who raised their hands. You can get a better idea of what they are about when they speak later on. There are different types of sponsors - short term and long term, they both start out short term just in case you don't get along :D . After the meeting go up to a person who raised their hand earlier and say you need help and you were wondering if they could help you in the meantime while you find a sponsor. This gives you both an out if the relationship doesn't work out. You need help immediately but without the long term commitment. The sponsor does wants to help but it doesn't always work out.

Just listen to people and talk to the ones who you think are on the right path and not just going to say what you want to hear (which hasn't worked so far).

John

Unread postby sojourner » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:20 am

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I'm about 30, and the people at the meetings all seemed to be in their 50's.
sojourner

Unread postby yosemite610 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm usually around North Bucks county, but I there's a meeting Thursday nights at 7pm in Sellersville at the Penn Foundation that has several 'younger' people, another in Quakertown (west swamp church? 8pm?) on Monday nights (speaker for full hour) where I noted a large group of mid-twenties or so...

Up and down the Delaware there's a number of meetings... Another Thursday night meeting at 8:15pm is in Milford (NJ, just across the bridge 1/4 mile on the right) that Opens normally then splits into 2 rooms, one a speaker/discussion and the other a beginners group (1st 3 steps). Friday night in Frenchtown is popular (but a bit out of my area, so I haven't been there).

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask people in the meetings about other 'flavors' they might be able to point you to...
yosemite610

Unread postby steveissober » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:30 pm

Hey there,
Andrews Hall in Doylestown has alot of young people there. Dublin Ten on Fridays also has young people there as well. Don't give up. They are there. I see them all the time
steveissober

Return to New to Recovery?