Seeking Help on Starting a Sober Life

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Seeking Help on Starting a Sober Life

Unread postby Katrina_Noel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 pm

Hello to all..

Im a 25 year old female from the Mongtomery County area.. Ive spent the past two weeks going to IOP meetings for a DUI that I had gotten last January (07). I started my meetings believed that I was just a young adult who made a bad decision, and was basically in denial about my addiction. After five meetings, I finally opened my eyes and realized I am an alcoholic, and I always will be. It is still very hard for me to admit as my fifth meeting was this evening (Saturday - January 11th). This whole process has been the hardest in my entire life, and to be honest I'm not sure where to start. I have one more meeting left in IOP .. I havent drank since the 4th.. and I want to do everything I possibly can to continue to live a sober life.

I am asking for advice, support, and pretty much any help that anyone can give me. I've done some research and found a meeting tomorrow evening.. but it is an open step meeting? I don't know if this is the best kind of meeting for my first meeting admitting that I am an alcoholic. I live in the Telford area outside of Lansdale/Souderton/Hatfield, etc..

If there is anyone out there that could help me - I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you in advance! My email is - katrinaluvsdmb@aol.com and my instant messanger (AIM) handle is the same as well.

Best Wishes,

Katrina
Katrina_Noel

Re: Seeking Help on Starting a Sober Life

Unread postby Jason » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:42 pm

It is still very hard for me to admit as my fifth meeting was this evening (Saturday - January 11th). This whole process has been the hardest in my entire life, and to be honest I'm not sure where to start.

...You have already started!!! Put one foot in front of the other, one second, then a minute, then an hour...then a day. Pray. And get to meeting(s). But keep doing it, just for today. This should be the MOST important thing you do right now. If its not, make it the most important. You have already done the hardest part. You know in your own mind that you have to do this. Embrace it, and the rest will follow. Get to tonights meeting, if thats the absolute earliest one you can make! TRY hard, if you can, to find one even sooner. Search as hard for a meeting as you would for your addiction. Most important thing in your life. No ifs, ands, or buts!!!!!!!
Jason

Unread postby guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:00 pm

I think it is great you have realized you are an alcoholic. That was the best thing I ever did I was 22 and had hope I was going through a faze. My "Faze" had gotten me homelss, warrents for my arrest and a failing body. Getting a sponser, a home group and making a commitment to do a 90 in 90 was what put my life back together. i wish you well. It is an incredible life of freedom and joy to be sober, no matter what is taking place in my life.

Unread postby sarah13 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:33 pm

I am in SERIOUS need. Have tried rehab and 12-step and still continue to use. Shamefully I admit that I am a TX counselor - - I plead for your assistance as I do not know what to do!
sarah13

Unread postby aa » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:42 pm

I know you said you did the steps but find someone to take you through the steps in the big book ...ask them how they did the steps.. everyone I KNOW THAT DID them THE WAY there laid out in the big book has had the neccesary physic change
aa

Unread postby KellyAA » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:49 am

I am so happy to hear that people are asking for HELP!!!. I once did that I got the help I needed. I am a firm beliver that if you do the steps through the BIG BOOK of Alcoholics Anonymous honest and through you will come to believe that your fears will fall from you. Trust me I was also 22 when I started to live my life again. I continue to live the principles of the program on a daily basis just becaue I have some time doesn't mean that I can't pick up. It means that I need to continue to extend my hand to people and continue to push the BIG BOOK. I think that once you have had that psychic change you should be only to willing to give it away. Trust everything you have been through in your life is to help someone else. Please if anyone needs to talk just email.@ Kms1118@comcast.net. I am all to willing to help.
KellyAA

Unread postby Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:52 pm

aa wrote:I know you said you did the steps but find someone to take you through the steps in the big book ...ask them how they did the steps.. everyone I KNOW THAT DID them THE WAY there laid out in the big book has had the neccesary physic change
:arrow:

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion