Phone Numbers

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Phone Numbers

Unread postby Jason » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:55 pm

I was thinking that it may be a good idea to post phone numbers on here. For those of us that may need to TALK to a fellow addict about problems they may be encountering. Posting on here, in written form, is an AWESOME resource... however, sometimes it takes quite a while for others to read and reply to a post. So, a more direct an immediate way to reach out may be thru phones.

At the same time, I am a little hesitant to post personal info. But, I want to offer my help to fellow addicts. I think I'll be the first, and take the plunge. Hopefully it works the way I intended.

So, anyone that has some clean time, and would like to help in the way I have mentioned... I think it would be GREAT! Just reply to this with your info.

Anybody suffering with addiction, that needs help, feel free to call.
My name is Jason, and I am an alcoholic: ***.***.****
Jason

Re: Phone Numbers

Unread postby November_rain » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:35 am

Hi Jason,

As you can see, I edited your message and removed your phone number. Let me explain why I did it, and then we can discuss it.

I agree with you that it would be a great idea to have a list of numbers to talk to fellow addicts, however I don't think it is a good idea to post private phone numbers on this messageboard (or on ANY public messageboard for that matter).

1. People going to AA and NA should have a list of numbers already (like sponsors).

2. ANYBODY has access to this messageboard. ANYBODY can get your number, ANYBODY can call it, can mess around with it. Once it's out there... It's OUT THERE. Without being paranoid, we have to be careful when it comes to the web. It's full of good stuff, and full of junk.

3. SobrietyONLINE cannot be held responsible for any type of aggravation you may encounter following the disclosure of your private phone number.

4. The use of private messages would be best to exchange phone numbers. I will ask the Admin of SobrietyONLINE to explain to members of this board how to send private messages to other members. That way, members can get in touch with one another and exchange phone numbers privately. In the end, the result is the same, but you have some type of control over who gets your number.

Again being able to talk to people in case of dire need is VERY important, but releasing private info on a messageboard can lead to crazy stuff.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
November_rain

Unread postby Jason » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:09 pm

I understand your concern. I appreciate that. However, I feel it should be up to me(or, any other online member that wants to help). You know, as well as I, and every other addict... that sometimes the HELP you're in need of...simply can not wait hours or days for replies.

I would hate to think of some poor soul out there, that chooses this site as a resource in a moment of DIRE need...and without someone to talk to immediately...they make a terrible life changing decision.
Jason

Unread postby November_rain » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:03 am

Yes, Jason, I know that too often, help cannot wait. However will you be available 24/7 to listen to someone who needs help immediately? And you know as well as I do that help can be needed at ANYTIME. Sponsors give their phone number to a limited number of people. Yours will be on a public messageboard. Don't get me wrong: What you want to do is very commendable. But please think it over, and if you want to have your phone number published, then we'll publish it.
November_rain

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion