back in philly

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

back in philly

Unread postby hpz24 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:56 pm

i am 20 yr old male and i just moved back here from kentucky i dont know anyone in this city i am not new to recovery but i have never had much sucess in staying sober i feel like i am the only 20 yr old trying to stay sober i find it extremely hard and i feel alone im going to a meeting tonight and i am nervous i have bad social anxiety and any advice would help
hpz24

Re: back in philly

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi hpz24,

I'm a little older than you so I'm not sure I'm the best one to respond. It takes a little bit of time for people to respond here. So don't get frustrated if you don't hear back right away.

I also have social anxiety. But I found that once I stopped drinking, I was becoming more confident or at least able to function somewhat normally. I discovered that the alcohol was actually making me more of a social introvert, even though you would think the opposite. When I was drunk I was outgoing (obnoxiously and sloppily) but the next day I just wanted to stay in bed and not face the world.

Give sobriety some time and you will start seeing things in a different way.

hey hpz

Unread postby chrishazey » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:33 pm

hpz, i am a 21 year old recovering alcoholic/addict and you are not alone, friend.
chrishazey

Unread postby _sarah_ » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Hey I am 20 too and you are definately not alone! I'm from the philly suburbs and I recommend the Malvern Center-it's a 12-step meeting clubhouse. Also, there is a late night meeting in West Chester at the 307 Clubhouse on Friday nights from 11pm-12:30am which has TONS of young people who attend. It is located at 822 East Washington Street West Chester, PA. The late night meeting is especially cool because it is a great place to hang on Friday nights...Friday nights can be difficult for many in recovery, but this meeting has great people and a really good atmosphere.

Good luck!
_sarah_

Unread postby staytune » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:21 pm

As others have stated "you are not alone." The disease has a way of wanting us to believe we are all by our self dealing with this thing. Know that you have started doing the work you needed to by placing fyour feelings and thoughts on this message board. I feel being nervous is something we all went through when we are early in recovery, and besides, this is a different enviornment for you. It will pass, just keep going to the meetings.
staytune

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion