I am New to recovery, how can it work for me?

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

I am New to recovery, how can it work for me?

Unread postby just me » Fri May 09, 2008 1:34 pm

I have not tasted a drink for well over a year now. I feel good, but what about when I am alone and bored out of my gord :? and there is just nobody there to listen. How do I starve the beast that still is inside me. I won't let it out. that doesn't mean I don't think about it. :!: :?: :!:
just me

Re: I am New to recovery, how can it work for me?

Unread postby Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 5:11 am

First off, this is so cool that you have been sober for over a year! KUDOS to you!!! The best when you feel that way is to have a backup plan like listening to a song that will switch your thoughts or reading a poem that you wrote or that someone else wrote that puts you back on track, or think of something or someone you love, or pray. Simple words like "Please help me" are often enough. Remember that there are just thoughts. They don't exist unless you acknowledge them and give them life. The beast will never go away, but you can control it and laugh at it. You have the power.

Re: I am New to recovery, how can it work for me?

Unread postby naiou » Sun May 18, 2008 9:21 am

First of all you are not alone. I commend you for making it so far. This is what I tell myself when I feel like I may self distruct.
I have the right to to want what I want and to feel the way I feel. I may not choose to act on those feelings or desires, but I won't hide them from myself. They are a part of me. I think about my low point and it makes me realize it's not worth going back. I am unlearning as much as I am learning.
naiou

Addiction treatment and Resources centers

Unread postby GITTINS » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Drug and alcohol addiction can be devastating to individuals and family members. Almost everyone knows someone affected by this insidious disease. This website is dedicated to providing information on a wide variety of addictions and addiction treatment related resources. Finding the right drug and alcohol rehab program is critical for long term recovery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GITTINS

Suffering from an addiction. This website has a lot of great resources and treatment centers.
http://www.treatmentcenters.org

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:09 pm.
GITTINS

Return to New to Recovery?