aa for addiction to weed?

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

aa for addiction to weed?

Unread postby stonesober » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:41 pm

I have an addiction to weed and have been advised by a therapist to go to AA meetings. I was wondering how I would be received. Would I be welcomed and benefit from AA meetings? Thanks, SS
stonesober

Re: aa for addiction to weed?

Unread postby Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:39 am

I would look for a NA meeting (narcotic anonymous). To me addiction works the same whatever you use, but maybe it's easier to relate to the stories you hear from people who use a similar substance. Not sure. Anyway going to any meeting can help.

Unread postby stonesober » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I too believe it's not about the substance we use as much as it is the cycle and dynamics of addiciton. I just want to know if I would be resented or thought of as not really having an addiction, or it's not a big deal... as some still believe you can't get addicted to weed. I can say for sure, it is! I welcome any comments from those familiar to AA meetings.
stonesober

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:38 am

Being addicted to ANY SUBSTANCE is a big deal, and people going to AA and NA meetings know it all too well. Why would they resent you? We are all trying to break the cycle, and that's what is important. You are trying to get better. Your pain is no different. Your fight is our fight.

Unread postby diane9734 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Thank you so much for your support and understanding. It has helped give me the courage to go to a meeting. I found a "Marajuwana Anonymous" group but their are only 2 land meetings in my state and neither is nearby. They have online meetings but at this point I think I need the face-to-face connection. So, I will try an AA meeting. Thank you!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:56 pm.
diane9734

Return to New to Recovery?