new to this- online meetings???

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

new to this- online meetings???

Unread postby jane doe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:49 pm

I am new to this and it's actually very hard for me to admit, but I am a terrible alcoholic. I am not neccesarily dependent upon alcohol on a daily basis, but I abuse alcohol every weekend. I have been put in terrible situations because of this. I have friends and family who drink heavily, but the alcohol does no effect them in the same way. I fear that if I do not stop it will only get worse and I have a tough time opening up about my abuse. I do not drink and drive and at this point it's pretty much the only responsible thing I do while I drink.
I think it would be hard for me to attend a meeting because I have hard time facing my problem- I also fear someone will recognize me. Are there any online meetings? I think thaI would feel more comfortable going about getting help that way rather than in person.
jane doe

Re: new to this- online meetings???

Unread postby November_rain » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:12 am

Hello Jane Doe,

You may want to check:

http://www.aaonline.net/
http://stepchat.com/aa.htm

Also give us some feedback if you find some good online meetings.

Keep in touch!
November_rain

Unread postby Michelle Z » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:43 pm

Please don't fret about someone recognizing you at a meeting. First of all, anonymity is something very important to our fellowship. It's not about who you SEE at a meeting... it's about what you HEAR that might help you towards recovery. Also, if you recognize someone it simply means they too have the disease of alcoholism. It could turn out to be a blessing... someone to help you along and familiarize you with the tools and principles of the program.

You might feel shame right now. I did when I first came in. But I quickly learned that there's no shame in needing and asking for help. Good luck to you.
Michelle Z

Unread postby Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:33 am

I have seen many people I know at meetings. I only had one person say something to a co-worker of mine, and i dimed this person out at the next meeting. I feel who is there, what is said there stays there. I haven't had a problem since and that person was new to AA meetings and hasn't said another word since. I don't know about the online meetings, I think they are good for people who can't get out and go to a meeting. I don't think I would get as much out of it as I do going to a regular AA meeting. You are not alone with your drinking. I started out that way the weekend warrior. Than it went to everyday. Some thing would upset me and I use that as an excuse to drink. I hit 13 months yesterday of sobriety and I am thankful for every day of them. I hope your pride doesn't get in the way of getting help.

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion