New here...and to sobriety.

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

New here...and to sobriety.

Unread postby danger maus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm new to AA and sobriety, if anyone has any advice for me I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been going to meetings but so far haven't found the one where I feel like I totally click yet. Either the other members are too old for me to relate to (I'm 26) or the meeting has had a hard religious edge to it, which isn't really my thing. If anyone can advise me to a good meeting to check out in the Gilbertsville/Pottstown area that would be awesome.
danger maus

Re: New here...and to sobriety.

Unread postby Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:39 am

Hello, going to meetings is definitely one of the best things to do. It may take some time to find the right one(s). What I would suggest is that next time you go to a meeting, ask people where else they go, ask them if they know of meetings with a younger crowd, not that religious, etc. Also ask the meeting leader. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are plenty of meetings out there, you should be able to find the one(s) you feel comfortable attending.

Unread postby Guest » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Just go to meetings. Most people when they first start have issues with the meetings. Just go and eventually you will find a meeting and people that you like. I found out after about 8 months that is was not the meetings or the people that it was me and my hesitation to dive into AA . Good luck , keep at it and you will see that AA is the best thing that ever happened to you.

Unread postby Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 am

One mistake I made in early sobriety was going to meetings right before they started...I never socialized and expected people to come up to me and make me feel welcome...I also compared their stories to my own and felt I was much better off than this group of losers....I later learned to relate not compare. I found out later It did'nt matter if the person sharing was (90or19) pain is pain, love is love and feeling alone and hopeless feels the same way for most of us...."go early help set-up, stay late help close-up"....after all the life you save may be your own.

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion