Am I an addict?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Am I an addict?

Unread postby etarna » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the board. I have never been to a meeting and have never considered myself an addict (I know you're all thinking it's denial but REALLY, I have never had an addiction to anything.) I dabbled in cocaine and extacy as a teenager but did have a normal clean life until last year. I am 26 years old, and I don't even know how I let this happen, but I tried crack and heroin for the first time last year, did both a couple times. For a few months I went from being a nice normal girl to leading a really dirty life. Anyway, I ended up leaving the country for 6 months, I guess as a sort of escape from my life, and returned 2 months ago. I always had the drugs in the back of my mind but was able to control it, and tonight for some reason it is just taking a hold of me, and this board was the only thing I could think of to keep me from going out into the streets to find something. So really I don't know what to do. Obviously I know I shouldn't, but I don't know if I can keep myself away from myself..
I know if I just make it through the night I'll be ok, but what happens the next time I feel this way?
And even as I sit here writing this, I don't know how much longer I can keep myself from walking out the door..
etarna

Re: Am I an addict?

Unread postby Guest » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:09 am

Seek help as soon as you can! When you get the urge, go to the emergency room or call your doctor or go to church or anything to prevent you from using. Later on you can sit down with your physician and set up a plan. The question is not whether you are or are not an addict. The question is: What do you do NOT to use and still be alive in a year.

So what did you do last night?

Unread postby Chris M » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:50 pm

If you have any question about being an addict, which you clearly have, you've got a problem. That's not saying you're an addict; that is between you and a doctor. But you clearly need to get some [i]help, be it a counselor, getting guidance from a doctor, et al. I'm an alcoholic; my alcoholism was preceded by a "problem." I wish I had questioned myself then as you clearly are wise enough to do. Godspeed![/i]
Chris M

Re:Am I an addict? ME TO YOUR NOT ALONE (me2)

Unread postby dmobile0 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:15 am

Your not alone, I have been addicted for about 2 years now. I lost my family, meaning the rights to being a father and it was not all my fault but I was being a parent and then my kids mother started doing crazy stunts. This made me into an animal. I got to the point where I did not care who I hurt or who I was doing wrong and now I am realizing after two years. I lost a house my son, and a lot of good friends. Drugs are mental escape from reality and once you try cocaine its a on going process you never want to stop this makes us addicts. There is nothing wrong with you. I am dealing with this issue myself. Stay strong I got 100 reasons why you should stay clean. As well as once you end up in trouble its hard to get out of it.

Try reading AA Big Book. Learning what applies to you and where you can help yourself by talking to other recovering addicts. It helps going to meetings its helps calling people who are recovering. and talking like your doing now keep talking because I am going to be on here this helps me get my thoughts together for the next morning.

Anyone who is dealing with recovery, I wish I could help everyone I have the answers for your problem but I do not have them for my own addiction. Its very hard to fight this problem. Keep trying to learning more about what your going through.

Good luck.

dmobile0

Unread postby recovered » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 am

IF you find you want to, but cannot stop, or have little or no control over the amount you take then you probably are an addict.

Ask yourself that.

Only you can answer that.
recovered

Return to Drug Addiction