Today is the day

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Today is the day

Unread postby kendra » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 am

My name is Kendra and i am an alcoholic. I am 35 and decided to change for myself and make a fresh start. I have been a binge drinker for about 8 years...Although i dont drink everyday....i find myself saying over and over that i cant be an alcoholic because i only drink 2-3 times a week...This is a terrible thing to think when I start off with just a few and wind up drinking til i drop....I dont like the person i become when im completely intoxicated...I am getting too old to keep doing this to myself and hurting others verbally who deeply care for my wellbeing...Ive had soooo much on my plate these past few years that it has become progressivly worse...thinking i need to go have a drink to feel better when the truth is it makes things totally worse...I am ready to be Kendra again.....and clean up my act...its a gift to myself and thats not being selfish...I know i have a problem and beleive i can do this...anyone who has any advice for me I would be greatly thankful :)
kendra

Re: Today is the day

Unread postby marshamarshamarsha@comcast.net » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi Kendra, Good luck to you. You have made a huge step in just admitting your problem. This is my first time on this website. My brother has an alcohol addiction and almost died this summer. I told him I would take him to a meeting tomorrow night since he lost his license and I have been trying to help him. He lost everything but his life and his home and almost died from liver failure and spent 7 weeks in the hospital over the summer. I truly hope you do get help before things get really bad. and they will if you don't get help. There are meetings every day all over, You will find that you are not alone. Pray to God for forgiveness and strengh every day. He will get you through along with help of friends and family. I am a very strong person, never had an addiction, but couldnt get through this life without Christ. I will keep you in my prayers.
marshamarshamarsha@comcast.net

Unread postby rocketman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi Kendra,
Congratulations on a big step.
You might want to look into some outpatient rehab programs; they can be a good stepping-stone to sobriety. If you have health insurance, they should be covered. If not, ask anyway. If you can find a councilor who is a former alcoholic/addict (as opposed to a social worker who has never had a problem) you should find some understanding.
AA has worked for me, and I'm an atheist. A big part was finding rooms full of empathetic people who "get it". So, just go to the closest AA meeting, say hi, and listen in. Everyone there has "been there" in one way or another.
rocketman

Unread postby Daddy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:23 am

Hello Kendra,
I'm am very happy that your doing the right thing by addressing problems in your life. I would like to help.
Call me Please you know where to find daddy!
Daddy

Unread postby janey » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:31 am

Hi
I am also in this situation. I am 39 yrs. old and have almost lost it all. Can't drive, have a hard time getting around. Can't even get to counseling or AA. My boyfriend is against all drugs, antidepressants, anti-drinking drugs, cigs. I live out in the country and have no neighbors. Have to get rides to work, and may not be able to do my licensed profession after April if the board disapproves my plea. I am at a total loss and moved to PA a few years ago. That's when my most heavy problems started. Not that it couldn't have happened where I used to live too, but I had a support system there and would have access to public transpo. Kendra, I wish we could talk and just be supportive of each other. I had a hard time going to AA when I did because it just seems like it took awhile to break in. I hope this website helps us both, it's my only access to sobriety besides myself. Just hoping that you have friends and family that back you on this, because it truly is important.
janey

Unread postby yosemite610 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:22 pm

janey wrote:Can't drive, have a hard time getting around. Can't even get to counseling or AA.

Hi Janey,

I know a lot of people in the 'rooms' who don't have a license, but get rides from other aa members (I'm in a rural area too). What I see them doing is getting phone numbers, and then calling and asking for a ride. This actually gives another person a chance to be of service, and helps them as well.

Most of the time it becomes a ritual, and often the 'ridesharing' goes on after a license has been restored. Some of the best times in memory were riding to/from meetings with people who are as crazy as me ;')
yosemite610

Return to New to Recovery?