There's always a first step

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

There's always a first step

Unread postby wrytched » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:26 pm

I've been fortunate, more times than I deserve. I've done a lot of stupid things to escape feelings of loneliness or even acceptance, but things are catching up with me. Idle time and boredom leads to "well, I'll just go out for a bit." A drink becomes two, and then three. It's so strange because when I'm with others, I become the protective one, I take it easy because I want to make sure everyone else is ok, but when I'm alone, I think I'm only hurting myself. I'm not blaming anyone else, and yet it feels like I am someone else. All the thoughts and feelings I surpress just pour out. How do stop the cycle?
wrytched

Re: There's always a first step

Unread postby norman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi wrytched, What I got out of you're post is no one else suffers when you go back out. Not true, other people feel pain too. There are others in you're life, but like me, I was too self centered to even think of what family and friends felt. As for being bored, service work is always there. Got a phone? Call some one, and let them know you've been thinking about them. No First Drink!
norman

Unread postby wrytched » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:46 pm

No first drink... that's got to be the hardest part. I have a few people I enjoy spending time with, and when we go out for dinner or just to be together, there's always alcohol. What do you say when they want to have a drink with their meal or whatever, and they want you to have a drink with them? I don't want to be no fun, or take the enjoyment away from them. There has to be a safe and happy medium somewhere.

It's easy to say, if they're really your friend then they would accept you can't drink. I really do believe I can have one responsibly. Am I lying to myself?
wrytched

Unread postby Impympzable » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 am

Hi,

One day at a time is what did it for me. I've had many of the same feelings you are feeling but that is how the alcohol wires your brain to think. When I got sober, 2 years ago to the day, my best friend said " If you think about it, its simple. All you have to do is stop drinking one type of liquid." As stupid as it sounds the simplicity in that statement gave me enough confidence to tackel the problem. I don't miss drinking. I'm still learning to deal with life cuz for 10 years I poured alcohol on my problems. I did attend Rehab After Work in Doyelstown and Lansdale. I highly recommend the organization. You learn a lot. Take heart because you are in control of your life, but not when alcohol is in the mix. Nothing good comes from alcohol. It lies to you until it ruins your life, physically and socially. The alcohol wants you dead. For this fact alone I HATE IT, and have been fighting back for 2 years.

If you do stop, it will be a little rough, hence one day at a time. Don't worroy about tomorrow. Worry about today and make a pact with yourself that today you won't drink. Tomorrow renew that pact. Sounds stupid but I've been doing that every day for the last two years and it does get easier.

One awesome side effect of getting sober is that you will be a positive influence on people around you. My Dad has used alcohol for his whole life as did an uncle and aunt. All got sober because they saw that it is actually possible and maintainable, My Dad swears by Rehab After Work. Also, a few poker buddies got sober cuz they saw I could do it. Who knows how many DD accidents were avoided, health problems averted, and relationshipssaved by these people getting sober? Pretty exciting. But it starts with you living as an example of HOPE for your self. You need to fix you before you can even dream about fixing others. Its biblical.

Best of luck! Happy New Year.

Jason
Impympzable

Unread postby Tom » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

well all i know is that i had 4 mos then thougt i was well and it took me 5 mos to get back.and every thing everyone said would come true did. now i have 2 days. but the first 1 for me was easy it was trying to hide it for awile that was hard until i didnt care any more. going to a meeting at midnite tonite so im on my way i guess'
Tom

Unread postby jake44081 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:37 am

Its the locomotive that kills you, not the caboose. A day at a time don't take the first drink. Simple but hard. if your friends don't understand maybe, just maybe you have the wrong friends, that's been my experience
jake44081

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion