12 days sober! Would like to discuss "TEMPTATION"

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

12 days sober! Would like to discuss "TEMPTATION"

Unread postby SoberElissaToday » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:56 am

So, I am 12 days sober today... Not my first time trying and my detox was miserable. But I'm starting to come to a little more everyday and I'm just amazed I haven't drank... Yes, there is a God because the way I am living on a daily basis is the opposite of everything I am and do and have always done. What do you do to fight off temptation, when even prayer is hard to focus, there isnt a meeting and its you again, alone with yourself. Any thoughts, pages from the big book or personal experiences? Thanks guys! Elissa
SoberElissaToday

Re: 12 days sober! Would like to discuss "TEMPTATION"

Unread postby betsc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:37 am

SoberElissaToday wrote:So, I am 12 days sober today... Not my first time trying and my detox was miserable. But I'm starting to come to a little more everyday and I'm just amazed I haven't drank... Yes, there is a God because the way I am living on a daily basis is the opposite of everything I am and do and have always done. What do you do to fight off temptation, when even prayer is hard to focus, there isnt a meeting and its you again, alone with yourself. Any thoughts, pages from the big book or personal experiences? Thanks guys! Elissa

Hello
Congratulations on your 12 days of sodriety. I had the privledge of being in rehab for my 12th day of sobriety. This is an emotional time of year for me and has been for 19 years. You would think that temptation would go completely away after all those years! Let me share with you what happened to me on Wednesday. I went to the 9am mass feeling the need to pray. Well don't they serve wine at the mass. I was tempted to drink the wine, just a sip! Temptation will always be there, it will sneak up on us. That is why it is so important to keep our addiction in front of us, not behind us. Our lives change, life gets better and better each day, we become stonger, more productive... but we are still alcoholcs. As I bypasse the wine, I knew I had to get back in touch with AA.
betsc

Unread postby Guest » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:59 pm

This is my 12th day sober also and I know the feeling of temptation. Boredom is my main hurdle. I can't find anything to do tonight and can't stop thinking of just going out. I'll probably just go to sleep to stop thinking about it. I probably should go to a meeting but have no transportation there. I'll call my sister and tell her what i'm thinking about, she knows the feelings. Try calling someone and tell them everything your thinking about and be honest. It is just a suggestion, but the best thing to do is get those thoughts out of your head as quickly as possible before thats the only thing you can think of. The alcoholic brain is messed up, it will get fixed on the the thought of getting drunk and not let it go until it gets one, then it's too late. Good luck on getting a thirteenth day of sobriety. Who wants to start over at one, not me!

Unread postby stormfootball » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 pm

Hello Alissa,
I have been sober for 4 1/2 months. Temptation will always be there. One thing I have learned i my early sobriety is that alcholism is a very patient disease. It does not care how long its been since your last drink. I know what temptation can be like I am 21 years old and a student in college. Many times I run into the same situation as you not being able to get to meetings or not having someone to talk to. My suggestion to you is to keep calling on your higher power. Without him nothing is possible. Also try exercising. Sometimes when I get a strong temptation I simply go to the gym and workout to the point of exhaustion. From doing this I receive a natural high and one that will keep me from going to jail. Good luck and God Bless!
stormfootball

Unread postby kathyrqs » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi, I have been sober since I was 20...and that was over 28 years ago. I recently had some major things happen in my life and started thinking maybe I could handle alcohol. It has been so very long since I drank and I was surprised by this thought. I do not want to go back. You work this program one day at a time. You are just staying sober for today. Don't think about the rest of your life. I know you can do it today. God bless.
kathyrqs

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:52 pm

I think being sober is great. Way to go on your 12 days. I am on day 3. I just don't know how I will make. I have my 30th bday coming up and it is on a saturday. I wanted a BIG blow out party, of course includes drinks. How am I going to celebrate? I am going to want to drink. If I have a party, how do you have a party and not drink? I know if i have one that will lead to 2,3,4, on and on and on... temptation is crazy hard.

Unread postby annerocksgws » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Remember; it is easier to stay sober, than it is to "get Sober". So, once you go through the gruling part of detox and you are sober for a few days, you have won the first part of the battle. Congratulations! Now, you are left with your thoughts of " what happens now?" All you have to do is listen to what is suggested to you in the meetings. The first year I was sober, I did not talk at any of the meetings. I just listened intently to how other people worked at staying sober. Human nature tells us to question everything and fight against recovery. " Fake it till you make it." Get a sponsor right away and begin working the steps. Attend 90 meetings in 90 days. That's all you have to do. Whether you like this or not, just do it. At first, I was like a robot, I just did what I was told. And one thing that really helped me stay sober the first year was to show up every Wednesday night and make coffee for 60 people. I make the worst coffee on the planet; even tho everyone said it was fine. A lot of the time, I dreaded doing the coffee, but this task made me accountable; this was service work. And it eventually got myself out of my head. Fairly soon after, I began greeting people at the door; then I started listening to " their stories." I had plenty of time to address my own issues " later".The more I helped others, the smaller "my own problems" became. I hung out with several people that had 10 plus years sobriety because they obviously worked their program with much success. I stayed away from "drama queens ( and kings" and approached my recovery as I would say, taking a 4 year college program. I was educating myself and did not care how long it took. Five years later now, I still treat my recovery the same way. I am still in "AA college"; I just won't graguate (ever) it is an ongoing deal. The road to recovery is not always straight, but I keep walking that road. Good luck my friend! You are exactly where you are supposed to be. God has made sure of that.
annerocksgws

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion